The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing with Hardware and Limited I/O
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Mixing with Hardware and Limited I/O

I recently moved to recording on a computer...Previously I was recording on a Tascam MSR 16 tape recorder and a Tascam M1600 console, with quite a bit of hardware equipment. I record my own music and am not doing anything remotely professional. The tape machine finally died, and I then sold the console. I have purchased a Lynx Hilo Dante, which is 2 channels in and 2 channels out, as I said....I only plan on recording myself. I have been trying to mix exclusively with my hardware equipment while using the daw more or less like the tape machine, but it is becoming laborious to do. I would like to know how individuals are able to work around this. I find that routing something into an eq, and then back into the daw...only to do that again to the same track after having eq'ed something else is a pain. I do not have the work flow to make many changes in such a short amount of time, compared to the three second process that would have been on the console. I also am really happy with my converter, and do not want to sell it. Are there any solutions around this?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Why not mix in the box?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I really like my hardware pieces, plus I find it fun. If I really should just mix in the box and use plugins it is now work (no way I can let that happen!)...But if there is no work around then maybe I'll go back to the tape machine setup.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
Or invest in an interface with more in and outputs.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Would I need a mixer,or could I just route each track to a different output
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict
No mixer needed.
With the right DAW and interface you can use your hardware as inserts.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Awesome..Thanks, what interface would be on par with the Lynx in terms of sound?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
With a 2x2 you can at least run one mono piece of external hardware at a time. Route an output to the effect, back into an input. I do this in Cubase which lets you measure/ping to find the delay and compensate accordingly as well. Once setup it works just like a software plugin.

If that doesn't work then you need a mixer with aux sends to add more effects and run its main outs into your interface.

If that doesn't work, you need an interface with more I/O.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbdan View Post
With a 2x2 you can at least run one mono piece of external hardware at a time. Route an output to the effect, back into an input.
Hmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rijo View Post
I find that routing something into an eq, and then back into the daw...only to do that again to the same track after having eq'ed something else is a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbdan View Post
If that doesn't work, you need an interface with more I/O.
See post #4 and up...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search