The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help making Techno kicks like these...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Help making Techno kicks like these...

There is a kick sound I hear on a lot of techno tracks, but after months of trying, I just can't seem to get the same type of character...

I have attached the following examples of Dense & Pika, who use this sound a lot:

YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Is there anyone out there that can give me some guidance on how to get this sound!?

Honestly, it's beyond the usual techno reverb kick/rumble technique that features in a lot of tutorials. Whilst it seems there is reverb at play and certainly low-end rumble underneath, the kicks themselves have this odd quality to them I just can't get near...

They sound sort of distorted in some way, yet still punchy and not gritty/grungy. They sound kind of reverby, yet still tight and not at all washed out. They are massive, without being too low end.

If anyone can help me solve this conundrum, I will love you forever and ever.

Love, Jim
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Just sounds like a run-of-the-mill, kick drum with no damping on it. No reverb on there. That's just the un-dampened resonance of the drum. It sounds like something I'm always trying to get rid of!
Old 5 days ago
^^Nooooo^^

Anyway.....
Layers.
You are hearing a bass rumble track as well as a saturated techno kick with reverb.
There are many ways to do it.
Kirk DeGiorgio has a great tutorial explaining one approach:

Otherwise you can make some rumble tracks yourself, our download some samples. The mix in your main kick with a blend of distortion and (cheap or industrial sounding reverb) to taste.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Anyway.....
Layers.
Cheers Chrisso,

I have tried this sort of technique a lot - there are a lot of similar tutorials around. Whilst these can get you the nice low-end rumble going that happens in-between the kicks, they don't always deal with the sound of the kick itself.

In the examples I linked, there is a certain tonality I find hard to replicate. Here's another artist with a similar kick drum sound:

YouTube

I think you are right that there is some combination of saturation/reverb/distortion going on, but whatever I do just doesn't sound quite a punchy and massive as these!

Cheers
Old 5 days ago
Make sure you start with the right kick sample. Again this can be layered, with a main body kick sound, then a transient (attack) sound mixed in.
There are tons and tons of techno kick samples around.
Have you tried kick drum making software? The one in the video seems pretty easy to dial in.
After you have found a hard, punchy kick, just send it to a short, dark, digital sounding reverb.
Old 5 days ago
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
^^Nooooo^^

Anyway.....
Layers.
You are hearing a bass rumble track as well as a saturated techno kick with reverb.
There are many ways to do it.
Kirk DeGiorgio has a great tutorial explaining one approach:

Otherwise you can make some rumble tracks yourself, our download some samples. The mix in your main kick with a blend of distortion and (cheap or industrial sounding reverb) to taste.
I was just trying to tell him the easy way to do it. Where do you think techno kids got the idea for the rumble track? Of course, you have to actually use a real kick drum with a real mic. I guess that's too much trouble.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
I was just trying to tell him the easy way to do it. Where do you think techno kids got the idea for the rumble track? Of course, you have to actually use a real kick drum with a real mic. I guess that's too much trouble.
I'm an acoustic drummer. Your post had zero to do with his question or offer a solution.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies guys!

Jammie dodger, I don’t mean to insult your eardrums, but that is not a run of the mill kick. If you’re aware of any drum machine that spits those out, I’d love to hear it.

Most of them seem to have some combo of distortion on and a very short reverb. But whatever I do, I just can’t get the same sort of sound.

Like I said, this has nothing to the rumble going on in between the kicks, but the tone and texture of the kicks themselves.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

And yes, some layering probably as well (the mids of these kicks have an knocky, almost percussive quality)
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimal1210 View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

Jammie dodger, I don’t mean to insult your eardrums, but that is not a run of the mill kick. If you’re aware of any drum machine that spits those out, I’d love to hear it.

Most of them seem to have some combo of distortion on and a very short reverb. But whatever I do, I just can’t get the same sort of sound.

Like I said, this has nothing to the rumble going on in between the kicks, but the tone and texture of the kicks themselves.
None taken. I wasn't talking about drum machines. You would have to layer multiple samples to achieve that. It's just something that I've heard multiple times over the years in real kick drums that I end up either physically muting (tape, towels, etc.) or electronically muting with gates or just editing the track.

I mentioned this in case you were "rolling your own" samples. I did not intend it to be the end all to how to achieve a certain sound. I just pulled up your first example and said to myself, "I've dealt with that a lot in the past."

I started programming synths forty years ago and when trying to reproduce acoustic sounds we used to study the mechanics of them and break it down into bits.

Apologies.
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
It's just something that I've heard multiple times over the years in real kick drums that I end up either physically muting (tape, towels, etc.) or electronically muting with gates or just editing the track.
Ah.. hah!

Sorry, hadn't twigged you were talking about acoustic drums

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search