The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Brand Qualities. Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Brand Qualities.

Every brand has sound / quality descriptions associated with it. I would like to get others thoughts.

To keep this on the exact correct track I will start with my examples of the information to be included.

Yamaha: Extra high frequencies, Reliable, Average cost.
Roland: Extra mid-low freq in a cold way, Sometimes classic equipment, sometimes garbage. Overpriced.
Neve: Warmth.
SSL: Automation. detail control.
Neumann: off axis sounds great, the standard that all mic's are measured to.
Shure: Reliable, just ok sound quality.
Eventide: Delay/space master.
Lexicon: Reverb with bite.

What makes this kind of talk difficult is that most brands issue both high end and low end gear. The high end stuff gains the brand attention. The low end stuff makes them cash.

The longest ongoing bait and switch is the revision of the AKG 414. 15+ different versions of flagship over time starting with the C12. I purchased a pair of TLII versions in the late 90's and hated them. Was expecting much more from them. If I want a 414 now, I will get it from Advanced Audio.

One brand detail that took me forever to figure out was the common desire for a Neve preamp. Later I learned it's not so much the preamp, but the inductor EQ built into the 1073 that's really desired.

Early on in my live of recording music, I thought there was about 50 magic pieces of gear that the highest end of studio's will all have. Things like: 9' Stienway, Hammond B3 w/ leslie, B15 bass head, U87, U67, U47, KM84, NEVE preamp, API preamp, SSL mixer, list goes on for about 50 items.

Today, software helps replace much of the list for 10% the cost and 90% the quality (good enough).

But it really comes down to intellectual property and what each company creates as products. Lexicon has a sound, Eventide has a sound. It's become about the computer code (the sound) of each company, and how that sound is tuned for the human ear.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search