The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About music theory.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

About music theory.

Really need to know this one. Google is not helping that much.

So, I don't really get what to do with a vocal.

I find an acapella online. I check the bpm and the song key. But different websites show different keys. What am I supposed to do now?

Another case. Suppose its E major. But is the acapella then E major as well? How do you figure it out?

If it is in F# major then should I make everything around F# major or is there any other keys that will go with F# major? Is there a cheat sheet for for figuring out what keys can substitute what keys?

Thank you. I really need this. Have been stuck on this forever. Just need to know what I am doing.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hello,
Reccomend the book listed below for you. It covers harmonic composition and melodic composition. It will tell you how to base melody on the notes of a scale. Choosing right scales and modes. Fitting chords to a Melody and so much more.

The next time you look at an image of the circle of fifths notice one ring is in capitals (Major) and one row is lower case (minor). Maj and it's, "Partner" the minor next to it share the same notes of the scale; relative Major and minor. Once you choose a Key, look up the notes in the scale, then look up the chords for that Key. Write a Melody first (melodic composition) then write a chord progression to the melody using chords belonging to the Key you chose. Or; choose a Key and write a chord progression using chords from the Key you chose, (harmonic composition) then write a Melody to the chord progression you wrote using notes from the Key you chose. Now the fun part; when you get to the bridge switch to the relative major or minor of the Key you chose. The chords and melody are using the same tones but will definitely have a change, going into the bridge and out should sound smooth.

About finding a key to an acapella: Suggest you hum along with a keyboard perhaps until you can find the root, use the keyboard and play the same single note to it. Be aware of key changes. Once you find the key see if the scale fits. There are different, "Modes" of scales so you might need to change the Mode to another scale for that Key. The book covers that as well.

Hope my explanation does not have too many mistakes. If something sounds good it is good. If it sounds off it is off unless you want it to be off.

Hope all is well.

Sorry, name of book.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Composition
Published by Alpha
By Michael Miller

Last edited by Amsoily; 1 week ago at 01:07 PM.. Reason: Adding a Title

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search