The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
dpa 4099 or sm81 for acoustics in untreated room?
Old 5th January 2019
Gear Addict

dpa 4099 or sm81 for acoustics in untreated room?

so i'm stuck in an untreated bedroom with windows and mirrors on all four walls. but i want to track some acoustic while i'm here, but i'm sick of trying to salvage the di pickup sound or playing with impulse responses.

so before i dig up the sm81, i had a possible dumb sideways idea: wouldn't a super directional live mic like a dpa be an interesting choice in this situation? i'd have to live with the close mic'ed sound, but that's preferable to a crappy room sound.

or would the sm81 still sound better, and i should just park it as close as possible to the guitar? may be difficult to balance a decent signal vs too much pick/string noise.

i'm sure there's a reason more people don't use those kind of mics, but it isn't often discussed, so i thought i'd ask. only other thing that came to mind was a high end contact mic/pick up sort of thing, like a schertler dyn g.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by eor View Post
so before i dig up the sm81, i had a possible dumb sideways idea: wouldn't a super directional live mic like a dpa be an interesting choice in this situation? i'd have to live with the close mic'ed sound, but that's preferable to a crappy room sound.
I was thinking similar. What did you decide on in the end?

This video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ73F3juaJc
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eor View Post
so i'm stuck in an untreated bedroom with windows and mirrors on all four walls. but i want to track some acoustic while i'm here, but i'm sick of trying to salvage the di pickup sound or playing with impulse responses.

or would the sm81 still sound better, and i should just park it as close as possible to the guitar? may be difficult to balance a decent signal vs too much pick/string noise.

i'm sure there's a reason more people don't use those kind of mics, but it isn't often discussed, so i thought i'd ask. only other thing that came to mind was a high end contact mic/pick up sort of thing, like a schertler dyn g.
Back when I owned both mics I compared the 4099 with the SM81. The SM81 sounded better to me.

The room is very very important no matter what microphone you select. That's just how it is. It sounds like you'll have to live with it. Maybe you could hang some duvets when you record.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobinharris View Post
I was thinking similar. What did you decide on in the end?

This video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ73F3juaJc
i solved it in the laziest possible way. i more or less just use my best acoustic, which happens to have the best pickup system in it already. a schertler ag6, with the optional internal mic. into a decent eq, run through a nice preamp, the direct sound is pretty liveable.

but if i wanted to record a different guitar, i'd have to pull out a mic because any other direct sound i have gotten was just garbage, no matter how many eqs, mic pres, tube pres, or post-processing i used on it. just a complete waste of time.

on the plus side, i have a few denoise/deverb plugins, so i'll hope for the best with those plus the sm81 if i find myself going down that road. not an ideal solution, but if you're trying to record in a space like this, then you've already lost. that's freeing in a way, because you may as well try anything since you aren't going to get a pristine studio sound no matter what you do.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's some inspiration for you. This man recorded his song in his car!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search