The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interface Audio To DSLR Audio Interfaces
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Audio Interface Audio To DSLR

New to the site. I did some searching on this topic with no luck before resorting to making a post. I'm a drummer and I'm interested in making some drum cover videos in the near future. I have a full drum mic setup, audio interface, and DAW. I have recorded and mixed the drums with other instruments to create audio files. I have made some videos of drumming and sync'd the audio and video via post processing using photoshop. Call me lazy, but I'm wondering if there is a way to record a video with high quality drum mic audio without having to sync to audio and video in post using video software?

I have a Nikon DSLR camera with a mic input on the side. Is there a way to connect a cable from my audio interface directly to my DSLR? In theory, I can have the mix set in my DAW, hit record on the DSLR, and output the mixed audio to the camera in real time as I'm playing (thus bypassing having to sync up a separate audio and video file). Hope that makes sense. Have any of you accomplished this or something similar? Thank you immensely for your feedback!
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Interface Audio To DSLR-img_20180724_185015_735.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
In general the answer is yes, this can be done. The specific model number and type of connector for your camera will allow us to provide a more useful answer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The camera (Nikon D-7000) has a 3.5mm mic input. The interface is a Tascam US-1800.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Interface Audio To DSLR-20181216_105630.jpg   Audio Interface Audio To DSLR-20181216_105527.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Okay, good.
The intent of my question was to determine whether your camera has a mono mic input or a stereo mic input. Page 313 of the D-7000 manual says it has a stereo microphone input.

With that objective, there are several ways to get a 3.5mm TRS input at mic level into a camera. There are purpose-built products from Saramonic (Amazon link below), and several other options you have to attenuate the two balanced line level outputs of your Tascam US-1800 interface, and form it into the stereo unbalanced low-level input to the camera that you need. The Rolls company probably makes the combination of features that you need.

[https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-Mic...=AU14N51PPEZY0 ]

Good luck.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

yes you probably need a pad
you may also want to check the camera's settings and use the manual gain control if it has it. Automatic gain control can swing up and down overcompensating if your music is very dynamic.

another possibility, and one I use all the time is to record the audio and video separately and simply lay the audio back on the video at a later time

Modern digital equipment is consistent enough that if you get the audio lined up right at the beginning, it will stay lined up for the whole song, often even several songs

I use the camera's built in mic (which sucks) - but only as a reference and record the 'real' audio in the daw.

then import the video into the daw and nudge the grouped audio tracks until the camera audio 'disappears' into the sound. By 'disappears' I mean it stops flanging. I find it is better to nudge the audio against the video, since you can nudge it by single samples if you want. Whereas a video can only be nudged by a frame!

You can click your sticks together at the start or whatever, but it only gets you close. Nudging by ear beats nudging by eye.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You're going backwards by doing this.

When people first start making videos, they start with the on-camera mic. Then they tire of the crappy sound quality of the on-camera mic and connect an external mic. Then they tire of the crappy A/D conversion quality in the camera and start recording to a separate sound recorder and re-combine in post.

By doing what you propose, you're going to capture a decent quality signal in your audio interface, then send it out to the camera to be converted by the camera's on-board converters. Step backwards. You're already doing it right.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search