The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Electric Guitar to Line Input/Hi-Z/DI-boxes? Channel Strips
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Recording Electric Guitar to Line Input/Hi-Z/DI-boxes?

Hello!

My problem is that when I record my guitar and my interfaces input is switched to Hi-Z everthing from my headphones leaks into track. When I record to line there ain't no leaking, but it sounds like crap.

So I have to record my guitar/bass
without headphones, headphone volume turned off and monitor from my nearfield monitors as I'm tracking but sometimes you really need your headphones if you play something more demanding.

Is there anyway I can fix this with some cadget, maybe with a DI-box? And if, what kinda DI-box/cadget that should be? Is there big differences how DI-boxes sound?

I just really like clean sound of my Strat and J-Bass. I got DBX 286s, but I don't really like how it sounds with my guitar and bass, oviously not hi-end gear or ment to be instrument preamp. I really like the sound which my crappy old interface gives me with Hi-Z switched on, but that effin leak.

By the way changing the interface aint't possible right now, because IF, DAW, OS compatibility. I'm stuck with this IF with this project.

Any thoughts conserning my trouble? And thanks if you read this all the way here
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My problem is that when I record my guitar and my interfaces input is switched to Hi-Z everthing from my headphones leaks into track.
2 Things you can do;
1.) lower the volume
2.) or get new headphones that are made for recording/tracking (closed backs)
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey and thanks for the response

It's not leaking from the headphones. It's leaking from the interfaces headphone amplifire to the interfaceface Hi-Z preamp, when the headphone volume is on, more you crank the volume, more it leaks.

I guess my question was: Can you make guitar/bass sound better with a DI-Box or with some other cadget, more like a Hi-Z-input, when you have to plug it to a line-input?

Maybe that's a stupid question, but I wouldn't be asking if I knew the answer
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not leaking from the headphones. It's leaking from the interfaces headphone AmpliFIRE to the interfaceface Hi-Z preamp, when the headphone volume is on, more you crank the volume, more it leaks.
Well then, that is one faulty P.O.S and I would not use it
Quote:
I guess my question was: Can you make guitar/bass sound better with a DI-Box or with some other cadget
Better then what? A $25 effect pedal can sound better than a $5000 hardware effect. Its all about what type of sound you want, your personal preferences, the song its going in and how you want it to sound and how you want the listener to feel when listening to it (mood and vibe)

what you think sounds better is all relative to that specific Instrument track and song you are currently working on.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search