The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dry recording sounds muddy Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Dry recording sounds muddy

I have a NT1 with a rode interface. It shouldn't sound muddy when it's the raw vocals.. I don't have an upgraded sound card in my computer.. it's factory stick with 6gb ram.. I use acoustica mix craft to record.. I'm thinking maybe a mixer? That might help? I don't know.. but I watch YouTube videos and that's why I bought the NT1.. it sounded great even the dry vocals.. I plug it into my computer and the output in my headphones sounds amazing.. I play it back thru my headphones after recording and it's muddy af.. why?!?!? Someone please help!,
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I would suspect Room acoustics first. But if it sounds good in the headphones prior to recording, Then your interface or lack there of. Possibly your gain structure. You don't need a mixer. It's hard to say with so little information.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks bro.. you know what it could possibly be the acoustics.. I didn't have my reflexion filter behind the mic lol and I set all the nobs at half way so I doubt it's the gain.. it could possibly be a mixture of both tho..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Corrupt View Post
... reflexion filter behind the mic..
Great room treatment..
Quote:
...and I set all the nobs at half way..
Well, can't be wrong then. :x
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have an upgraded sound card in my computer.. it's factory stick with 6gb ram.. I'm thinking maybe a mixer? That might help?
No, a mixer will not help. how about getting a decent soundcard/audio interface. that would help. your room can make it sound a lot of things, but muddy doesn't come to mind when I think of things a room can cause.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a NT1 with a rode interface. It shouldn't sound muddy when it's the raw vocals..
How close?
[too dry with too much low end maybe..?]
[proximity effect...?]
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I put the reflexion filter behind it and it sounds alot better vocals are still muddy but the master is so effing good.. it sound amazing guys.. thank you
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bet it sounds good in the headphones due to a little latency. - the delay between your voice in the real world + the delayed precessed signal.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
How close?
[too dry with too much low end maybe..?]
[proximity effect...?]
This.

Experiments: You could try a high pass filter at around 90 hz. Also, try singing at a different angle. Mic placement is important for vocals too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Are you talking about the Rode AI 1 USB interface?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Yes the one that came with the nt1 bundle.. I got everything sounding pretty good

What do you think
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes the one that came with the nt1 bundle.. I got everything sounding pretty good

What do you think
Here's a verse from me with the mastered vocals
Attached Files

2-Corrupt Master.mp3 (1.15 MB, 45 views)

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search