The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Double Compressing Lead Vocal Dynamics Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Double Compressing Lead Vocal

Is it wrong to use 2 different compressors on a vocal? I EQ (subtracting/cleaning with the Waves F6-RTA) the vocal, use the waves vocal rider plugin, then I use the Bomb Factory BF76 with a fast attack and fast release and then EQ (Waves F6-RTA) it again (adding) followed by the Waves CLA-2A. This is usually how I start mixing every vocal, should I approach mixing a vocal a different way?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is it wrong to use 2 different compressors on a vocal?
Its not wrong if it gets you the sound you want for that specific vocal in that specific song. It is wrong if it doesn't get you the desired sound.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

No problem at all. I actually prefer to compress in stages.

Let’s say you need a full 10db of Gain reduction to get a very dynamic signal under control.

That’s a good bit of compression, and you’re going to hear it. Most compressors are going to be obvious when doing this much work. Some won’t but a lot will

BUT.... suppose you had 3 different compressors in on the action. Each only contributing about 3db of gain reduction.

It’s less obvious by far in my opinion .

This is pretty much what I do. When I track the vox always come in through a compressor taking 2 or 3 dB.

When it’s time to mix, each individual vocal channel will have a compressor only catching 2 to 3 dB

And then the main vocal bus has a compressor

Sometimes I have a parallel instance of the lead vocal set up with much more intense compression

Either way...the end result is that the vocals touch a few different compressors, but nothing drastic (unless warranted).

I’m not married to the idea however. If it sounds overdone I’ll gladly leave something out.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I often times use more than 1 compressor in the vocal chain.
I typically set up the first compressor with a fast attack, fast release, 3:1 ratio to catch some of the peaks about 3 db.

Then I have a second compressor with a med or slow attack and a medium release to give a little 2db hug to the peaks that are coming thru the first compressor.
When mixing down, if I need some more, I will pick a compressor plug-in that will help keep things under control. I like the bomb factory LA2a and La3a for this final light compression, but sometimes I use the bomb factory 1176 plug in.
If I need a touch more, I add another compressor after that, often times the Fairchild 670 plug-in to grab anything peeking thru about 1 db.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xashtro View Post
Is it wrong to use 2 different compressors on a vocal? I EQ (subtracting/cleaning with the Waves F6-RTA) the vocal, use the waves vocal rider plugin, then I use the Bomb Factory BF76 with a fast attack and fast release and then EQ (Waves F6-RTA) it again (adding) followed by the Waves CLA-2A. This is usually how I start mixing every vocal, should I approach mixing a vocal a different way?
Man... use 100 if it gets you there!

Generally, using several compressors in series with each just doing a little GR is the way to go... maybe inserting eq or de-Essers as needed along the way

Warren Huart has an amazing YouTube channel “produce like a pro”... he does this a lot and rarely used anything other than stock and old waves plugins

Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

ITB i'll put in a peak limiter followed by a compressor at times
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Let me check the rule book and get back to you. Don’t you have the rule book?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Let me check the rule book and get back to you. Don’t you have the rule book?

Rule # 1 in the "Mixing Club" = There are no rules in the Mixing Club
Rule # 2 in the "Mixing Club" = There are no rules in the Mixing Club
Rule # 3 in the "Mixing Club" = There are no rules in the Mixing Club
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search