The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Power conditioner effecting vocal recording? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Power conditioner effecting vocal recording?

Hey, I bought a power conditioner recently and was wondering if that can potentially reduce the noise on my vocal recordings.
I have my computer plugged into the power conditioner and then a Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 (USB) soundcard plugged into the computer with phantom power powering my condenser mic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, I bought a power conditioner recently and was wondering if that reduces the noise on my vocal recordings.
The person you have to ask is yourself. We have no idea if it will help or not. The only way to do it is to try it.
You have it already in your hands, so just hook it up and see if it reduces the noise for you.

There are hundreds of things that can cause noise and hundreds of things that can fix it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by timme View Post
... with phantom noise powering my condenser mic.
I just hate that phantom noise.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
The person you have to ask is yourself. We have no idea if it will help or not. The only way to do it is to try it.
You have it already in your hands, so just hook it up and see if it reduces the noise for you.

There are hundreds of things that can cause noise and hundreds of things that can fix it
I don't have a particular noise issue I need to fix right now, I just wondering if it in theory could lead to less noise in the recording, since my focusrite is plugged to my computer and thus not directly to the power conditioner. Since it's receiving its power from the computer it might very well be that the power conditioner from a theory perspective can not have an effect on it at all.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
just wondering in general if it even in theory this could lead to less noise in the recording,
The answer is still the same as I stated. You will have to try and see if it does or doesn't. Many things cause noise and many things can fix noise
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Since it's receiving its power from the computer...
It will depend on how "clean" that power is and the circuit leading to feeding the focusrite.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, I bought a power conditioner recently and was wondering if that reduces the noise on my vocal recordings.
I have my computer plugged into the power conditioner and then a Scarlet Focusrite 2i2 (USB) soundcard plugged into the computer with phantom power powering my condenser mic.
IF your referring to mic pre hiss or Mic hiss? NO..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, I bought a power conditioner recently and was wondering if that can potentially reduce the noise on my vocal recordings?
Not likely at all.

All a power filter does is prevent spikes on the AC line.

you need to realize your gear has its own power filter built in. Its called an AC to DC power supply which converts AC to DC. The DC side should already have sufficient capacitance to smooth out any AC ripple or noise left over.

Hiss and/or noise has nothing to do with your AC. Its called self noise generated by the amplifying devices themselves. The transistors and chips used to amplify contain N and P materials which are doped with impurities. What causes the hiss is the electrons colliding with the impurities in the silicone.

Think of it as a stream of water, if there are no obstructions on the bottom the water flows silently. If the bottom is full of rocks the waters flow will contain disturbances and in the case of a fast moving stream, it causes White Noise.

What this all boils down to is a good audio design with high quality parts to minimize noise. You buy cheap you get what you paid for. Forget the magic fixes to get rid of noise. if its cheap gear its caused by the components in those circuits. Instead buy better gear next time and you wont have to deal with the noise. Its why some mics/preamps cost $50 and others $5000
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search