The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording like Sonic Youth Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Recording like Sonic Youth

Can someone point me in the right direction of producing something along the lines of Sonic Youth (Teenage Riot, Candle, Total Trash) Im pretty new to recording (doing it for about 6 months) and can’t figure out how in the world everything sounds so dirty yet balanced on those songs. The guitars and the music in general sounds so hectic, but then Thurston’s vocals come in and they’re so clean and up front. PLEASE HELP
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade149 View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction of producing something along the lines of Sonic Youth (Teenage Riot, Candle, Total Trash) Im pretty new to recording (doing it for about 6 months) and can’t figure out how in the world everything sounds so dirty yet balanced on those songs. The guitars and the music in general sounds so hectic, but then Thurston’s vocals come in and they’re so clean and up front. PLEASE HELP
Dude, the question you're asking is going to involve everything from the equipment they used to play the songs, to the extreme alternate tunings they used, to the way they played their instruments, to the specific settings on their amps, and that's before you even get into things like where they recorded, what the room sounded like, how the floor was set up, how the microphones were placed, what mics they used, what console they recorded through, what recording device was used, what outboard gear was used and how... who was behind the console, why they made the decisions they made...

I found an hour + long interview with Thurston Moore on the making of Daydream Nation that might help shed a little light on your question.
YouTube

You've been at this for six months. My best advice is to concentrate on getting the basics of recording down. Learn about mics, mic placement, different mic techniques... learn a bit about room acoustics - how the room you're in effects the sound of the instruments in it. Start figuring out how to use that to your advantage or how to minimize the effect of the room, when needed. Learn about processors and effects - what each kind does and how to use them. Learn about various musical equipment/instruments - how they sound, how they interact with each other, how different guitars sound, different amps, different drums, different drum heads, different kinds of keyboards, etc.

All of these things come with experience. Making better recordings is literally a life-long pursuit (until your ears go, anyway - speaking of which, start taking care of them, if you haven't already been doing so). Figure out how to get good captures first. From there it's easier to figure out how to get the sound you want.

Practice. Record something every chance you get. Get meaningful feedback on your recordings (something this forum is actually pretty good for). Learn everthing you can about the craft. The rest will come in time.

I've been doing this almost 20 years. I'm still chasing my favorite kick drum sound. I've gotten a lot closer to it, but never seem to quite get there.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can someone point me in the right direction of producing something along the lines of Sonic Youth
Its not a matter of doing this and doing that and its not a matter of following a template. If you want to achieve the sound of that, you will need to match their talent and skill levels of everyone involved in that band, producers, audio engineers, who recorded them, mixed them and mastered them.

So start building on your talent level and skill level and you will be able to create any sound/vibe you want in the vast future
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade149 View Post
do a cover of one of their song, use similar distortion setting in guitars, a place the eq and volume of each tracks in a similar manner.
Then you have done the Sonic Youth mix (that I really don't like...)

(Of course intending that you know how to self record an album.)

If not, go to a studio and bring the CD disc with you. They will help you in a professional way.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search