The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How can I promote myself as a Freelance Audio Engineer?
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

How can I promote myself as a Freelance Audio Engineer?

Hey guys,

I'm currently trying to setup a website, Facebook and Instagram page for my business. I just want to know what are some tips in terms of promoting my business? At the moment, I don't really have a studio and my plan is to pay the hours at a studio whenever a client contacts me for work, and then just charge a little extra on top.

I just want to know, how should I be promoting my business?

Also, I don't really have a huge amount of gear and it would be silly to start listing gear from the studio I'll be doing most of my work at. Is it even critical to have a gear list? What can I put on my website?

Thanks in advance
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Just put up projects you worked on .as well as letting the studio know if they need someone to sub when their engineers aren't available that the relationship works both ways
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Make up some business cards and pin them to cork boards in coffee chops.. etc

Bear in mind that if you intend to charge significantly less than everyone around you, you're liable to draw in some less than desirable characters.

How long have you been producing outtve curiosity?
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Just put up projects you worked on .as well as letting the studio know if they need someone to sub when their engineers aren't available that the relationship works both ways
That's not a bad idea! Thanks
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Make up some business cards and pin them to cork boards in coffee chops.. etc
So business cards and flyers are still a viable promotional strategy?

Quote:
Bear in mind that if you intend to charge significantly less than everyone around you, you're liable to draw in some less than desirable characters.
I've been giving this some serious thought, actually. I'm thinking I'll start off at about $80-90 an hour, given about 50% of that to the studio.

Quote:
How long have you been producing outtve curiosity?
I've been engineering for about 6-7 years now and believe that I give decent results. Although I have definitely had more experience mixing than I have recording.
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

I usually eat the tracking date..I just make a deal with the studio for 85 an HR and split it..cut basics and then go home and use my place for the final bass, gtrs, vocals and other overdubs..plus mix and master..it's hard today adding you rate and studio..it would be 150 hr if we both charged rate and that doesn't fly today..studios are glad to fill empty time so there is room for negotiation there
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNeedHelp View Post
I just want to know, how should I be promoting my business?
By getting to know a local studio and cutting a deal with them. Ask them for a day of down-time when you can get to know the desk and all the toys.

Then you go out to gigs and start talking to bands and mentioning that you can get them into a good studio at a favourable rate.

You can build websites and deposit cards until the cows come home. You MUST talk to musicians and get their trust and be familiar with their music. If they know you and they like you, they will hire you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search