The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
API 512c into Scarlett unity gain question
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear

API 512c into Scarlett unity gain question

Hey there, just have a pretty straightforward question, ive got a scarlett 18i20 device, i was trying to find Unity gain so i sent a signal out of Output 3 into Input 8 and changed the gain on Input 8 till the signal matched the output signal, i got it to around 3 on the 1-10 gain meter for input 8.

I am now running a signal through my 500 series API 512c pre amp, im looking at the VU and its hitting about -6db on the VU for the pre but when i feed it into my input with the input set to unity gain its just fully clipping, infact i pretty much have to turn it to 0 for it to stop clipping, just wondering what Im missing here?
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear
Are you using the jack (TRS) input on the 18i20?
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Addict

You need the input to the interface to be a TRS jack instead of xlr. This will default the interface input to line level which is a lot lower signal. If its still too hot they do make output attenuators like this MPD inline attenuator.

Are you using an extra pad going in? My api 3124 ran so hot I had to use an extra pad in addition to the built in pad.
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Maniac

What the two above said. The Scarlett series is designed so an XLR input will default the interface to using a gain range designed for mic level inputs and a 1/4" jack will default the unit to using a lower gain range meant for line-level signals (with the exception of inputs 1 & 2 which can be selected to use intrument-level signals). I had to buy a few XLRF-TRS cables for exactly this reason.
Old 14th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks heaps guys, absolute rookie error on my part, I was coming out of my 500 series module with an XLR not a balanced TRS cable ( even though i had these available to me! )

What a time to be alive when inexperienced folk have their hands on great pre's such as the API's yet don't even know the correct cables to use but cheers for the advice!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search