The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question About Mic Preamp & C800G
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Nut

Question About Mic Preamp & C800G

Hey guys. I have a question about mic preamps. I've been saving up for a c800g but my interface/mic preamp is a scarlett 18i8. Whenever I hear people mention the c800g I always hear them mention it along with a Neve preamp. My question is... if I were to use this mic with just my scarlett would it make a big negative difference in the sound?

I don't really understand the difference between a $3000 mic preamp and just a simple $500 one. I mean... they just power the mics basically no? Do they really give the microphone a different "color", "tone", or "sound"?
Old 13th November 2018
Gear Head

With all due respect, if you don't understand mic preamps well enough to know what they do to the sound of a recording, you shouldn't be trying to buy a C800G yet, or a Neve preamp, for that matter. Yes, they are studio staples, but getting super high-end gear won't automatically give you pro recordings or pro mixes. What's much more important is knowing how to use the gear and how to mix. In fact, becoming a great mix engineer will get you miles farther than having great gear. World-class engineers can use $100 mics and give you a phenomenal sounding record (believe it or not, they often do).

I assure you, you can get fantastic quality recordings using the interface you already own and a solid mic. After briefly checking out your SoundCloud, it sounds like you want something airy primarily to record female vocals. Some mic recommendations for you that won't break the bank:

MXL CR89
Aston Origin
Warm Audio WM-87
Neumann TLM-102
Avantone CV-12

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Tatum View Post
With all due respect, if you don't understand mic preamps well enough to know what they do to the sound of a recording, you shouldn't be trying to buy a C800G yet, or a Neve preamp, for that matter. Yes, they are studio staples, but getting super high-end gear won't automatically give you pro recordings or pro mixes. What's much more important is knowing how to use the gear and how to mix. In fact, becoming a great mix engineer will get you miles farther than having great gear. World-class engineers can use $100 mics and give you a phenomenal sounding record (believe it or not, they often do).

I assure you, you can get fantastic quality recordings using the interface you already own and a solid mic. After briefly checking out your SoundCloud, it sounds like you want something airy primarily to record female vocals. Some mic recommendations for you that won't break the bank:

MXL CR89
Aston Origin
Warm Audio WM-87
Neumann TLM-102
Avantone CV-12

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Thank you. I've been recording vocals with an sm7b, blue bottle, and rode nt1 over the past 2 years. You're spot on about the airy female vocals.
Old 14th November 2018
Gear Head

Those are excellent mics. I'm sure there's a Blue bottle cap that fits the sound you're looking for.
Old 14th November 2018
b/c The Neve softens the top octave
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search