The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
bass amp to pc / audio interface
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

bass amp to pc / audio interface

hello all, new joiner here, nice meeting you lot. I checked the forums (and the internet as a whole) with my limited skills and couldn't find a proper answer, so hope someone can help me.

I use bandlab cakewalk + universal audio apollo twin to record my guitar or bass.

Everything works fine, but I am not happy with the sound of the bass itself - I am too used to the unbeatable, warm and round sound of my good ol' marshall 5503 bass combo.

I would like to record the output of the amp itself, the flow would be:
bass -> bass amp -> audio interface -> pc
however for what I read on the internet, it's not advised to connect the amp output to the audio interface input.

Is it doable? if not, is there any workaround to make it working? If this means changing the audio interface - maybe there are some that do the job - no problem. I just don't want to risk burning the amp

Also - I understand I could just attach a mic to the amp, but if possible I'd like to use it as a last resort.

thanks in advance to everyone
straniero
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear
If your amp has a line output you could try that (you will be missing the cabinet sound).
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

thanks! there is actually an HP/LINE output. I assume there will be no issues for the audio interface and the ampli? (I don't mind not hearing the sound coming out of the amp, I can still hear it via the speaker monitor).

thanks
straniero
Old 12th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by straniero View Post
thanks! there is actually an HP/LINE output. I assume there will be no issues for the audio interface and the ampli? (I don't mind not hearing the sound coming out of the amp, I can still hear it via the speaker monitor).

thanks
straniero
There wont be any problem with a line level out. Bass doesn't typically suffer from having the speaker missing from the chain. Bass guitar strings typically have allot of inertia already which slows the formulation of the lower bass notes. A speaker typically adds to the delay.

The speaker does color the sound however. If the speaker response is 100 to 4K for example anything above or below simply wont be produced by the amps speaker. The Line out on the other hand wont have any roll off.

You can compared the amps line out against a miced amp by recording both at the same time. You can even set up an EQ preset to get the direct sound to match the miced amp too. I'd use a Frequency analyzer like Voxengo Span and compare the two then use the EQ to match the direct to the miced amp signal.

Another option is to use a cabinet emulator pedal between the amps line out and interface. The box uses cabinet impulse circuitry to emulate whatever speaker you select. I bought a couple of these Aroma Asr-3 units for recording direct from amps. AROMA ASR-3 Shaper Cabinet Simulator Mini Single Electric Guitar Effect Pedal with True Bypass for Sale - US$36.85 black | Tomtop alone doesn't quite cut it. You really need at cabinet impulse to make it sound like a miced amp.

Of course the other option is to simply use a hardware modeler unit. Vox makes an excellent unit that includes all the major amp types including Ampeg, Fender and Marshall heads and cabs. Vox StompLab IB Bass Modeling Effects Pedal | Sweetwater They nail the tones of those amps plus any cab you choose up to an 8X10 or 4X15 better then the Line outs on some of those amps. I have one of those Ampeg Portaflex heads with a line out I can use recording. I compare its tone to the emulated Portaflex sound with a 1X15" cab and its actually as good if not better with the modeler.

Some examples - (The gold panel are the old Marshall Bass amps).

AMP MODEL
C (Clean) - VALVE 1 - VALVE 2 - CLASSIC - SCOOPED - LA - STUDIO - GOLD PANEL - JAZZ - o(OverDrive) - STUDIO - AC100 - UK MAJOR

CAB (CABINET)
Effect Display VALUE 1
LA 4x10 L1 --- ---
LA 1x18 L2 --- ---
METAL 4x10 ML --- ---
UK 4x12 U1 --- ---
UK 4x15 U2 --- ---
CLASSIC 8x10 CL --- ---
MODERN 4x10 Mo --- ---
STUDIO 1x15 St --- ---
JAZZ 1x15 JA --- ---
AC 2x15 AC --- ---
COMBI Co --- ---
CUSTOM CU CHARACTER 0...20

The unit has the full gambit of effects if you need them too. I typically use things like EQ, Compression and Noise gate. Maybe Chorus occasionally. The rest like synth bass, Reverb, Fuzz, Echo etc I don't have much use for on bass. If I ever needed those things I'd all them when mixing.

The biggest benefit of the amp emulation is the ability to tweak the signal up to match your instrument pickups in fine detail. Each set of bass pickups is different, some are hot some are weak, some bright, some dark. When you use the amp the gain levels are pretty much fixed unless you have separate preamp and master volume levels. when you can tweak the input sensitivity separate from the master you can juice the pickups up without unwanted distortion or even put some hair on it for a more tube like sound.

Main point is, there is more then one way of getting great bass tones and you don't have to spend an arm and leg to get it. Even a simple sans amp type unit for bass can do an amazing job. I picked up one of these inexpensive Joyo units for guitar and actually loved the way it produces a beefy Fender Bassman sound for bass. Not that expensive either. Joyo American Sound Overdrive | Reverb
Old 13th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
There wont be any problem with a line level out. Bass doesn't typically suffer from having the speaker missing from the chain. Bass guitar strings typically have allot of inertia already which slows the formulation of the lower bass notes. A speaker typically adds to the delay.

The speaker does color the sound however. If the speaker response is 100 to 4K for example anything above or below simply wont be produced by the amps speaker. The Line out on the other hand wont have any roll off.

You can compared the amps line out against a miced amp by recording both at the same time. You can even set up an EQ preset to get the direct sound to match the miced amp too. I'd use a Frequency analyzer like Voxengo Span and compare the two then use the EQ to match the direct to the miced amp signal.

Another option is to use a cabinet emulator pedal between the amps line out and interface. The box uses cabinet impulse circuitry to emulate whatever speaker you select. I bought a couple of these Aroma Asr-3 units for recording direct from amps. AROMA ASR-3 Shaper Cabinet Simulator Mini Single Electric Guitar Effect Pedal with True Bypass for Sale - US$36.85 black | Tomtop alone doesn't quite cut it. You really need at cabinet impulse to make it sound like a miced amp.

Of course the other option is to simply use a hardware modeler unit. Vox makes an excellent unit that includes all the major amp types including Ampeg, Fender and Marshall heads and cabs. Vox StompLab IB Bass Modeling Effects Pedal | Sweetwater They nail the tones of those amps plus any cab you choose up to an 8X10 or 4X15 better then the Line outs on some of those amps. I have one of those Ampeg Portaflex heads with a line out I can use recording. I compare its tone to the emulated Portaflex sound with a 1X15" cab and its actually as good if not better with the modeler.

Some examples - (The gold panel are the old Marshall Bass amps).

AMP MODEL
C (Clean) - VALVE 1 - VALVE 2 - CLASSIC - SCOOPED - LA - STUDIO - GOLD PANEL - JAZZ - o(OverDrive) - STUDIO - AC100 - UK MAJOR

CAB (CABINET)
Effect Display VALUE 1
LA 4x10 L1 --- ---
LA 1x18 L2 --- ---
METAL 4x10 ML --- ---
UK 4x12 U1 --- ---
UK 4x15 U2 --- ---
CLASSIC 8x10 CL --- ---
MODERN 4x10 Mo --- ---
STUDIO 1x15 St --- ---
JAZZ 1x15 JA --- ---
AC 2x15 AC --- ---
COMBI Co --- ---
CUSTOM CU CHARACTER 0...20

The unit has the full gambit of effects if you need them too. I typically use things like EQ, Compression and Noise gate. Maybe Chorus occasionally. The rest like synth bass, Reverb, Fuzz, Echo etc I don't have much use for on bass. If I ever needed those things I'd all them when mixing.

The biggest benefit of the amp emulation is the ability to tweak the signal up to match your instrument pickups in fine detail. Each set of bass pickups is different, some are hot some are weak, some bright, some dark. When you use the amp the gain levels are pretty much fixed unless you have separate preamp and master volume levels. when you can tweak the input sensitivity separate from the master you can juice the pickups up without unwanted distortion or even put some hair on it for a more tube like sound.

Main point is, there is more then one way of getting great bass tones and you don't have to spend an arm and leg to get it. Even a simple sans amp type unit for bass can do an amazing job. I picked up one of these inexpensive Joyo units for guitar and actually loved the way it produces a beefy Fender Bassman sound for bass. Not that expensive either. Joyo American Sound Overdrive | Reverb
wow, that's... that's an incredible answer. THANKS!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search