The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
usb 2 or 3 or C or thunderbolt?
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

usb 2 or 3 or C or thunderbolt?

So while researching different threads, a question came up in my mind:
Is the 'faster' connections like thunderbolt, etc. more necessary if you are recording multiple inputs at once? To handle the bandwidth?

So, if I'm literally just recording one instrument, as long as the interface is a quality company/device, is usb 2 fine?

I just got a new laptop and have been thinking that I have to get a usb 3.

Also, my computer has a usb c input. Can I use a thunderbolt device?

Thank you.
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear
The USB-C name is unfortunate because it only defines a physical connector. You have to check the specification of the port to see if it's just USB of some flavor, or a combination of Thunderbolt-3 and USB. Again, it's an unfortunate name because once upon a time, the connector was a sure-fire clue to the protocol. That's no longer true, but we're stuck with it now.

Thunderbolt-3, USB 3.0, USB 3.1/gen1, 3.1/gen2, and DisplayPort use the USB-C connector.

Bandwidth/speed requirements for multi-channel audio are far, far below what is offered by all of these USB-C connected protocols. Even good old USB 2.0 is absolutely fine for 32-channel audio.
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you for your input.

I'm going see if I can determine that about my usb c.

So in your opinion do I really need to seek out a usb 3 interface or just go with a nice unit but is 2.0? Like the Audient id44? Or RME Babyface Pro?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search