The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie Recording Setup Problem
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

Newbie Recording Setup Problem

Hi. I'm trying to sample from a turntable I have that I have connected to a Zed 10fx on a channel ST1 by rca jacks. The turntable only has RCA. I am using ASIO4ALL and have it configured where sound is coming into Ableton.

The problem I'm having is that the volume on the audio track in Ableton is very very low. Not hearable at all. I can boost the volume of ST1 on the Zedfx and it boosts it in Ableton but I can't pump the volume that loud in the house. I need to be able to record a decent level in Ableton while also having the audible sound level low. Anyone able to tell me how to do this? I've tried messing with the mixer, Ableton and in ASIO4ALL and had no luck on it at all. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzWalt View Post
Hi. I'm trying to sample from a turntable I have that I have connected to a Zed 10fx on a channel ST1 by rca jacks. The turntable only has RCA. I am using ASIO4ALL and have it configured where sound is coming into Ableton.

The problem I'm having is that the volume on the audio track in Ableton is very very low. Not hearable at all. I can boost the volume of ST1 on the Zedfx and it boosts it in Ableton but I can't pump the volume that loud in the house. I need to be able to record a decent level in Ableton while also having the audible sound level low. Anyone able to tell me how to do this? I've tried messing with the mixer, Ableton and in ASIO4ALL and had no luck on it at all. Thanks.
ASIO4All will have no effect on the input or output level of your audio--and it's not meant to. Leave the ASIO4All settings at their defaults unless you start to hear pops and clicks in your audio.

Do you have the turntable grounded properly and connected to a turntable/phonograph amplifier? The audio level coming from a turntable is quite low; recording that directly into your computer will give you less-than-satisfactory results, as you've found.

The ZED-10FX has RCA connectors on some inputs, but they're for MP3 players, cassette decks, or anything else that delivers a line-level output. Turntables don't provide a line-level output, even though they use RCA connectors.

If you can run the turntable through a proper turntable/phono amp, and then take that output into your ZED-10FX, you'd get the level you need.

Steve
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

I don't have an amp. I have a Audient ID14 which has a line in I understand has an amp on it. Could I use that?
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
Turntables don't provide a line-level output, even though they use RCA connectors.

Steve
I posted a similar thought a few months ago, and was quickly corrected. Because turntables are no longer routinely connected to a receiver with a phono preamp, a number of turntables now have internal RIAA equalization and output at line level.
Old 11th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
I posted a similar thought a few months ago, and was quickly corrected. Because turntables are no longer routinely connected to a receiver with a phono preamp, a number of turntables now have internal RIAA equalization and output at line level.
True, some do. Some even come with USB outputs. I'm just not sure either is the case here, or the OP would be getting a usable level at the ZED-FX's inputs. Maybe he can tell us which turntable he's using, and we'll get a better idea of where the problem could be.

Steve
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

It's a Crosley CR8005D. I just looked up the manual and it said this about the RCA jacks...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RCA Jacks
 The RCA Jacks output analog line-level signals and could be connected
directly with a pair of active/powered speakers or the appropriate input of your
stereo system.
 The Red plug connects with the Right channel and the White plug connects
with the Left channel.
Note: The RCA Jacks are not designed to be connected directly to the passive/unpowered
speakers. If connected to the passive speakers, the volume level will be very low.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing this means it doesn't have an amp.
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
It's a Crosley CR8005D. I just looked up the manual and it said this about the RCA jacks...

RCA Jacks
directly with a pair of active/powered speakers or the appropriate input of your
stereo system.
with the Left channel.
Note: The RCA Jacks are not designed to be connected directly to the passive/unpowered
speakers. If connected to the passive speakers, the volume level will be very low.

Is this humor, Sheldon?
It has amplification to line level. It is not a speaker amplifier.
Old 11th November 2018
Quote:

RCA Jacks
stereo system.
with the Left channel.

Actually, it does have an amp, and while it's only to bring the signal up to "line level", it should be sufficient for recording. Which inputs on the ZED-10FX are you using for the turntable?

Steve
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear

That's good to hear. I misunderstood what that meant. I think I have it now. I have a RCA cable going from the turntable into the mixer on the St-1b section of the S1 channel on the Zed 10fx.
Old 11th November 2018
Quote:
That's good to hear. I misunderstood what that meant. I think I have it now. I have a RCA cable going from the turntable into the mixer on the St-1b section of the S1 channel on the Zed 10fx.
I was going to suggest the ST-1B, since from the photo I saw, it looked as if it would flow into the mixer where you needed it.

Glad you have it all worked out. Good luck with your project!

Steve
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search