The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Modern acoustic drum mixing
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Modern acoustic drum mixing

Hello! I am a huge fan of the acoustic pop genre of music. I love Jason Mraz, John Mayer and other similar artist. I write music in a similar way however a dilemma I am coming across is figuring out how to mix drums for this music. I know this may sound like a vague question but let me explain. As we all know, the way songs are mixed seems to be changed due to samples becoming more and more prevalent. Now I could just slap on electronic samples on these songs but that is not the vibe I want for this music. My question is, how should I approach mixing acoustic drums in a way that doesn't make my songs sound dated and is able to compete with the huge sampled sound of today's music all while preserving the vibe and intimacy of acoustic pop music.

Examples of the vibe I am talking about preserving would be: St. patrick's day by John Mayer and Sparks by Cold Play.

Great songs with a warm and intimate vibe but I feel like the drums just wouldn't hold up well Sonically if they were played on the radio right after an Ed Sheeran songs.

Id appreciate any advice or suggestions of modern music with this vibe that I can use as a reference.

Thanks!

Edit: let me add that that I could just use an Ed sheeran song as an example but for the most part, his hits don't have the kind of vibe i want.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewrayrgv View Post
Great songs with a warm and intimate vibe but I feel like the drums just wouldn't hold up well Sonically if they were played on the radio right after an Ed Sheeran songs.
I've heard a lot of great drum sounds on highly unsuccessful records. Even recorded a few.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't doubt that. It's more of a personal preference for my music. I love the sounds of those records I mentioned but I also love how huge songs sound these days. So I am trying to see if there is a way to have the same intimate feel all while keeping up with that Hugeness associated with today's hits.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search