The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar input on audio interface and recording question
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Guitar input on audio interface and recording question

most of the 2 channel USB interfaces(2 mic inputs) have a guitar direct jack on the front or
by switch using one of the mic jacks.These are meant for electric guitar,yes?? Usually acoustic guitars are recorded using 2 mics in stereo. If you use the direct input you will only get a mono track,no? Is there a time you would want a stereo electric guitar track and how would you get it??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The jack labeled with a guitar is for electric guitar (and bass as well). It provides high impedance needed to give the true sound of the guitar.

You don’t want to stereo the pure direct recorded electric guitar sound. But what you can do is to split the signal and record both the dry, direct and run it through an amp that’s mic’ed. You can then process the dry signal with amp sim and effects and pan/mix both tracks to taste.

If you record an acoustic guitar, then you could consider experimenting with a stereo recording (use two mic’s). But do watch out for phase issues!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

thanks
I have recorded with 2 mics for acoustic on a DAT recorder years ago.My DAT recorder is worth about 50$ now and I bought it for 1500$.
Anyway I dont remember any phase issues but I wouldnt have known about them anyway. What are the problems??
Old 2 days ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search