The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hybrid setup for recording Digital Converters
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Hybrid setup for recording

Do you monitor from your daw or your mixer when tracking? I love monitoring the tracks while I’m recording from the mixer because I can add effects and have no latency. But, when overdubbing tracks it’s a pain. I can’t monitor the line input on the mixer then hurry up and switch it to mic input when the punch in starts.

So now I’m thinking it might be best to monitor from the daw while tracking then just use the console for the mixing stage. But I like having no latency and effects from the console.

What do you do?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
This is how I monitor.
If your interface has a direct routing option you could use the input of that to record and send it to your mixer to.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

I’m using an ramsa mixer - Orion 32 - daw Harrison mixbus.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love monitoring the tracks while I’m recording from the mixer because I can add effects and have no latency.
You can do this without a mixer as well, as long as your sound cards cue mix has effects in it. Its called direct monitoring and most sound cards have this option.
Mixers, for ME are useless. But that is me.
Quote:
But, when overdubbing tracks it’s a pain. I
When I overdub, I still can do direct monitoring of what im recording from the sound card and monitor everything else from the DAW.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

The new Orion’s do but mine has no effects or processing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Looks like it has plenty of routing possibilities.
Plug whatever you want to record to your interface, route that to an output an connect that output to your mixer.
Route output from your DAW to outputs of your interface and connect them to inputs on your mixer.
Now you can add effects (from the mixer) to what you want and balance them on your mixer without it being recorded.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

My interface has no mic preamps, that’s what I use the mixer for mainly. The problem is when I’m tracking let’s say drums.

I’ve got like 8 mics recording, the drummer messes up and wants to punch in at where he messed up. In order for him to monitor what he was playing up to his punch in point. Those tracks on the mixer would have to be set to line input to monitor the recorded part from the daw that was good up to his punch in point.

Then when the punch in part comes in I would have to physically switch the line input switch on my mixer to “mic in” on like 8 channels so now it will be recording from the mics instead of playing back the already recorded drums from the line inputs that are getting their signal from the daw.

If I do use “monitoring from Mixbus” instead of “monitor from hardware” in Mixbus I can do this because it will switch from “disk”which is playback to “input” which is my mics automatically when recording. But I have to use the daw to monitor with which will give me latency. I’m just trying to avoid that if I can.

I wish I had the newer Orion 32+ or hd with the built in processing in the converter.

Wasn’t sure how any other hybrid mixers tackle this problem.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search