The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interface & Compressor Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Audio Interface & Compressor

New to hardware, so really unsure how this works, but I want to experiment lightly with hardware compression (I try to avoid my PC where possible).

I have several analog drum machines I want to eventually capture through an audio interface (thinking Scarlett 2i2 but I don't think it will work) and compress using an FMR RNC 1733.

What I'm not understanding is if the drum machines go in to the Scarlett, then how do I route the Scarlett to the RNC and then back in to the Scarlett to capture the audio on my PC.

I'm looking for a send/return on several desktop interfaces and prefer those to rackmounts (space is a real issues for my home setup since I'm stuck in a corner in the basement).

Am I not understanding the setup correctly or is there a scarlett (or similar desktop not rackmount) that has a send/return?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Gear Maniac
Why not drummachine > RNC > interface?
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Your card doesn't have sends and returns. Its a simple entry level unit sound card

FYI: A lot drum machine samples are already compressed. Are you sure you wan to compress them again?
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post

FYI: A lot drum machine samples are already compressed. Are you sure you wan to compress them again?
yes, a lot of trouble to go through for compressing a drum machine. If the OP wants to get an idea before hand, he should record the drum machine flat and then put some plug-in compressors on it and see if that is really a sound he is after.

The hardware compression might be a little "sweeter" but it is not going to be better in the sense of "more appropriate". If it sounds 'superfluous' ITB, which I think it might, going OTB is not going to change that.

If someone wants to get into 'hardware', IMO the first step would be a good outboard preamp. Then you can stick whatever processing - EQ, compression etc after it and go into any interface.

Last edited by joeq; 1 week ago at 08:59 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
If someone wants to get into 'hardware', IMO the first step would be a rood outboard preamp. Then you can stick whatever processing - EQ, compression etc after it and go into any interface.
I'm guessing that a drum machine doesn't need any preamp and is of line level already.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
I'm guessing that a drum machine doesn't need any preamp and is of line level already.
true

I guess I just sort of assumed that the OP would be recording other things besides a drum machine or a keyboard etc. But I could be wrong. Certainly vocals or acoustic instruments would be places where using a hardware compressor on the way in would actually make more sense.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
I'm guessing that a drum machine doesn't need any preamp and is of line level already.
So a few things, I'm talking about an MFB 522/503, Boss DR-110, Korg Volca and Akai Rhythm Wolf. Something tells me the MFB's need the preamp because if I run the 522 using the stereo out to my Scarlett Solo using a TRS cable and set to line, I get no audio. I need to switch to a TS cable. Maybe I'm missing something there?

Also, as I said I don't want to use plugins. I'm a programmer/analyst by day and I get sick of using my PC. It's a release more than anything to play with hardware.

I'm looking to upgrade from the Solo, just trying to decide what I want. As for the RNC, I got it dirt cheap.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
Quote:
Something tells me the MFB's need the preamp because if I run the 522 using the stereo out to my Scarlett Solo using a TRS cable and set to line, I get no audio. I need to switch to a TS cable.
That doesn't mean you need a pre-amp. This means that your TRS cable is probably bad and you should replace it.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
That doesn't mean you need a pre-amp. This means that your TRS cable is probably bad and you should replace it.
The TRS cable is brand new and I've tried another one as well.
Old 1 week ago
  #10
Gear Addict
You are correct that a TS cable is what you need to use. The combo input is designed for either mic/xlr or unbalanced single channel instrument/line level. If you want to use a hardware comp I would suggest going through it into the interface-there's really not much point in going in and out of the box over and over.
Old 1 week ago
  #11
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
You are correct that a TS cable is what you need to use. The combo input is designed for either mic/xlr or unbalanced single channel instrument/line level. If you want to use a hardware comp I would suggest going through it into the interface-there's really not much point in going in and out of the box over and over.
Thank you, that's by far the most informative answer I've received.

That leads me to my next question, in the same product range (desktop, not rack) and price (<300 CAD), is there anything I can record stereo that you'd recommend? If not, what's the most basic unit I should look at?
Old 1 week ago
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw1978 View Post
Thank you, that's by far the most informative answer I've received.

That leads me to my next question, in the same product range (desktop, not rack) and price (<300 CAD), is there anything I can record stereo that you'd recommend? If not, what's the most basic unit I should look at?
The 2i2 has a 1/4inch TRS ... correct? I just feel like I need someone to confirm this.
Old 1 week ago
  #13
Gear Maniac
Correct, Trs balanced.
The reason you get no sound out the MFB is that it's a stereo (unbalanced) output you are connecting to one trs balanced input.
You woud need to split the stereo (trs) to two ubalanced (ts) signals.
Old 1 week ago
  #14
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64gtoboy View Post
The combo input is designed for either mic/xlr or unbalanced single channel instrument/line level.
They are single channel mic/XLR and line/TRS balanced or line, instrument/TS unbalanced.
Old 1 week ago
  #15
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
They are single channel mic/XLR and line/TRS balanced or line, instrument/TS unbalanced.
Right, but what it's not is stereo line in. I left off the balanced TRS since it wasn't really relevant to what the OP is try to accomplish
Old 1 week ago
  #16
Gear Maniac
Correct, But it is the cause of canceling his audio when using a trs cable.
Old 1 week ago
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Correct, Trs balanced.
The reason you get no sound out the MFB is that it's a stereo (unbalanced) output you are connecting to one trs balanced input.
You woud need to split the stereo (trs) to two ubalanced (ts) signals.
Trying to learn here ... but couldn't I use a DI box to convert the unbalanced stereo to balanced stereo?
Old 1 week ago
  #18
Gear Maniac
Trs balanced inputs are single channel (mono).
You could split your stereo unbalanced output to go through two DI's and make them balanced but if the cable length is not long I wouldn't bother.
Old 1 week ago
  #19
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
Trs balanced inputs are single channel (mono).
You could split your stereo unbalanced output to go through two DI's and make them balanced but if the cable length is not long I wouldn't bother.
I'll be honest, I don't fully understand, so if you have a link that's beneficial I'd go read ...

What I don't understand is the 522 is unbalanced TRS (no idea where you found out it was unbalanced because I tried to read ... is there a way to test?) and you're suggesting to split into L/R unbalanced, but then how do I feed in to the Scarlett 2i2 in order to get TRS balanced?
Old 1 week ago
  #20
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw1978 View Post
I'll be honest, I don't fully understand, so if you have a link that's beneficial I'd go read ...
Link
What’s the Difference Between Balanced and Unbalanced? : Aviom Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw1978 View Post
What I don't understand is the 522 is unbalanced TRS (no idea where you found out it was unbalanced because I tried to read ... is there a way to test?)
Any single jack stereo out is unbalanced.
An separate left and right output jack could be balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw1978 View Post
...and you're suggesting to split into L/R unbalanced, but then how do I feed in to the Scarlett 2i2 in order to get TRS balanced?
You can feed the 2i2 with two (stereo) unbalanced signals no problem.
If you really want it to be balanced you will need a (one for every channel) DI box.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump