The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need help understanding something about clipping
Old 1 week ago
Need help understanding something about clipping

So I know about clipping your preamps and converters, but what about mics?

I recently acquired a Beyerdynamic M260N (ribbon mic), and at low levels on guitar cab it sounds great, but when I play a little louder (not that loud at all though) the mic starts slightly distorting even though my interface (RME Fireface UC) shows no sign of clipping.

I've given the preamp quite some gain, and I was wondering if even though the preamp is not clipping, the mic could be clipping 'cause I'm giving it so much gain? Or is the ribbon just streched/broken?

Kinda lost here. The mic is supposed to handle quite some SPL, and I know ribbon mics need more gain than usual.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Microphones can distort regardless of amount of gain in the preamp. What happens if you lower the gain on the mic pre? Does distortion go away or is it still there? I would think that if your distortion is consistent regardless of preamp gain then your distortion is either in the interface (i.e. converter clipping, which you have eliminated) or in the mic (which isn't "visible", but "audible"). If lowering the preamp gain makes distortion go away then that's the solution it appears...

But for a specific answer regarding your specific mic and application I'll defer to recording engineers that can give you advice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ribbon mic's in my experience usually need a lot of gain.
So do these and see what happens:
1) Move the mic back a little
2) Try a differ speaker in the cabinet

If none of them work, one of the ribbons is probably has more slack that it should and needs to be re-tensioned

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search