The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I use Coles 4038 in a treated small room?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I want to buy a coles 4038 for mono oh glyn johns. I have a small room with a 10 foot ceiling. If I put 2 inch rockwool all around and above the kit will that make it sound ok? Ive heard its not good to use bidirectional ribbons in small rooms.

The other option is a beyer160 or aea ku5a but those tight patterns might not capture the full kit im thinking with one mic. if I were to do beyers id want 1 mono over snare and 1 left side and 1 right side.

Who knows im a newb to recording drums. I play with a left side tom which is why im even more concerned with the tight pattern.

Anyway should I be fine with a coles with treatment or go with beyers?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's a ribbon mic, correct? If it is, then you can use it in any kind of room.
Quote:
Anyway should I be fine with a coles with treatment or go with beyers?
No one can say yes or no.. Its all about personnel taste and the sound you want. For me, I do not like ribbon mics for drums in the way you want to use it. I would go for a LDC mic....
The only way to know is if you try it. You will also need to experiment with mic positioning to determine the best placements and the best spot in your room to set the drums up at.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I often use a 4038 for overhead drums in a room with a celing of around 9 foot. Might depend on what level of technical 'perfection' you are going for, but to me it sounds great. I don't even have any special dampening or treatment. That said I usually use a four or five mic set up, and sometimes add an overhead condensor for a bit more 'sparkle.'
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

try not to have the mic half the distance between and surfaces .. and angle the Coles just a little (yes i have one) to help this relationship between microphone and surfaces .. !!!

deadening a room can actually make it sound worse .. only treat what you need to .. listen with nothing and then have a friend move some panels around and see what happens to your room sound !! if you only have rock wool and no panels .. you could make a few panels and use those to find the trouble spots in your room
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search