The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass drowning out music Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Bass drowning out music

I’m the sound tech at my high school. We have a Allen and Heath GL24000. For our play I am playing music during the intermission. I am playing it from a laptop through an aux cord. It has never really played well with stero tracks but this year everything is getting drownd out by the baseline. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Is there an EQ on the master track?

If not, whatever music player you're using to play the music should have its own equalization settings so maybe turn down the lows? lol
Old 1 week ago
Yeah, High School is tough.
First thought is if it's bass, make sure the channels on the mixer you are feeding the stereo signal into are panned full left and right, respectively.

Good luck with her!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Fidd View Post
I’m the sound tech at my high school. We have a Allen and Heath GL24000. For our play I am playing music during the intermission. I am playing it from a laptop through an aux cord. It has never really played well with stero tracks but this year everything is getting drownd out by the baseline. I am wondering if there is anyway to fix this. Thanks.
What do you mean by everything in "everything is getting drowned out by....."?
Is the music you're playing, commercial tracks or your own mixes?

Anyway, bass drowning out other elements in a mix sounds like a badly set limiter or compressor.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What is an "aux cord"? What input(s) are you using on the GL?

The best bet is that the stereo signal is getting combined into mono from either the cable you're using or within the GL and cancelling out most of the program information except the bass which is either mixed mono or panned center in the recording.

Proper connection from a laptop would be USB to an "AV" direct box, then to the board. Peavey USB-P is what most folks use. No need for a special driver...plug and play.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
What is an "aux cord"? What input(s) are you using on the GL?

The best bet is that the stereo signal is getting combined into mono from either the cable you're using or within the GL and cancelling out most of the program information except the bass which is either mixed mono or panned center in the recording.

Proper connection from a laptop would be USB to an "AV" direct box, then to the board. Peavey USB-P is what most folks use. No need for a special driver...plug and play.
By aux cord I mean the cords that you would use in your car. I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system. Thanks for the part recommendation I’ll see if it will help.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodba View Post
What do you mean by everything in "everything is getting drowned out by....."?
Is the music you're playing, commercial tracks or your own mixes?

Anyway, bass drowning out other elements in a mix sounds like a badly set limiter or compressor.
We are playing commercial tracks, mostly of of YouTube.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrayle View Post
Is there an EQ on the master track?

If not, whatever music player you're using to play the music should have its own equalization settings so maybe turn down the lows? lol
I’m just playing music off of YouTube from a laptop.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Yeah, High School is tough.
First thought is if it's bass, make sure the channels on the mixer you are feeding the stereo signal into are panned full left and right, respectively.

Good luck with her!
Thanks. We have it only feeding into one channel. I figured that it should be two, but I’m not the one that set up the system.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

YouTube video sound may be bassy, but I bet it's more likely it's the PA system emphasizing the bass. Perhaps try an EQ (or EQ app) on the laptop and create a curve or shelf for the bass to reduce it? Oh, and if it is stereo>mono, that could be emphasizing the bass as well, depending on the source, how it's mixed, and how it's compressed for online streaming.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. We have it only feeding into one channel. I figured that it should be two, but I’m not the one that set up the system.
That would depend if the one channel is a mono or stereo channel.
How many plugs are on the mixer end of cable...is it a splitter cable?

Quote:
I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system.
It may be a stereo system but that doesn't mean you can't mess up the connections to turn stereo to mono.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
That would depend if the one channel is a mono or stereo channel.
How many plugs are on the mixer end of cable...is it a splitter cable?
It isn’t a splitter cable. And it is a mono channel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If the bass is drowning out the mix, pull the channel that says "bass" down on the mixer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
By aux cord I mean the cords that you would use in your car. I figured that the issuse was that it was converting a stero track into mono, but my director insists that it’s a stero system. Thanks for the part recommendation I’ll see if it will help.
Your director is an idiot.

Quote:
You are correct, but you'll need the proper cabling. Sound System Interconnection

Quote:
I’m just playing music off of YouTube from a laptop.
Technically, it's not legal to do that...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search