The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Harsch sounding vocals with new appollo twin Single-Channel Preamps
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Harsch sounding vocals with new appollo twin

Hi!

I recently sold my LA610 and bought an Apollo Twin instead because i thought i could emulate almost the same sound. Now when i record (rap) vocals they sound harsh and i dont feel that i get the same depth.

I use the 610 unison (B though, not A), the software LA2A compressor and a SE T2 microphone.

I feel that even though there might be a slight difference in sound/quality, it shouldnt be this big?

Since im no expert at the subject, can anyone tell if something else comes to mind that i could try for troubleshooting? Could this harshness come from distortion? I usually keep it at -10 and with no eq on the preamp.

I heard some microphones dont do well with certain preamps aswell?

I really would like to try everything possible before considering buying back my LA610.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'd be curious to know if you got to use the sE with the LA610.
Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
I'd be curious to know if you got to use the sE with the LA610.
Thanks
Yes, same microphone, studio and set up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could this harshness come from distortion? I usually keep it at -10 and with no eq on the preamp.
I'm assuming you mean -10 PEAk and not -10 RMS. If its RMs, this may be your problem. Distortion can cause a sound to become harsh, it can also make it sound warm. I cannot say without hearing it and knowing every single level in the entire signal and gain stage form sound source to your monitors.
Quote:
I heard some microphones dont do well with certain preamps aswell?
This is true. Some microphones need more power than others and pre-amps do not output the same volts and output gain.
Do you know if they are the same between both pre-amps?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyprincess View Post
Yes, same microphone, studio and set up.
I am pretty sure the nice tubes and transformers in your Solo/610 that you maybe shouldn't have sold were taming the harshness from the titanium diaphragm in your SE T2. Now, the Appolo only reveals the true sound of your mic . . but there is a solution for it. It involves your T2 and a bin . .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search