The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cheap(er) XLR -> guitar pedals AND anti-feedback solution Rerouting & Reamping
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

cheap(er) XLR -> guitar pedals AND anti-feedback solution

Aim: To run a mic'ed acoustic instrument signal into a guitar pedalboard AND *some* form of decent-quality feedback reduction, and from there out to either my guitar amp or to a RCA-input PA/hi-fi.

For instance, one solution would be:

phantom-powered instrument mic -> Behringer Shark FBQ100 -> Eventide Mixing Link -> through effects loop into my stompbox and back into EML -> guitar amp/hi-fi

However, the Mixing Link is $300 and the Shark another $100... that's a lot of money for a humble bedroom musician!

Is there some other piece/combo of gear that can achieve the same result? Like a reliable, decent-sounding little mixer out there with *good* built-in feedback control and good mic preamps? Or am I missing some other consideration entirely?

Another solution would seem to be: mic -> Scarlett 2i2 -> MacBook running Ableton and some anti-feedback plugin (like X-FDBK, $90) -> $100 re-amper -> stompbox -> back to Scarlett 2i2 -> amp/ hi-fi

But that's another $190, and uses up both channels on the 2i2 for just one instrument.

I see a lot of acoustic guitar preamps with effects loops, but either they don't have XLR in at all (Zoom AC-3) or they do but the anti-feedback EQ'ing on the XLR in is very limited (Hotone A Station).

I've done a decent bit of research so far but feel like I could well be missing some much simpler or at least cost-effective solution. Any help/pointers would be really appreciated!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there some other piece/combo of gear that can achieve the same result? Like a reliable, decent-sounding little mixer out there with *good* built-in feedback control and good mic preamps? Or am I missing some other consideration entirely?
I do not think you will find a mixer with built in noise reduction/feedback illuminator inside it. Maye an expensive digital mixer, but if you cannot afford $300, you will not be able to afford a digital mixer with that effect in it.
Quote:
For instance, one solution would be:

phantom-powered instrument mic -> Behringer Shark FBQ100 -> Eventide Mixing Link -> through effects loop into my stompbox and back into EML -> guitar amp/hi-fi

However, the Mixing Link is $300 and the Shark another $100... that's a lot of money for a humble bedroom musician!
Sounds like it could work. sounds a little overly complicated though.. The only way to know if you like the sound form it is to try it
Quote:
Another solution would seem to be: mic -> Scarlett 2i2 -> MacBook running Ableton and some anti-feedback plugin (like X-FDBK, $90) -> $100 Re-Amper -> stompbox -> back to Scarlett 2i2 -> amp/ hi-fi

But that's another $190, and uses up both channels on the 2i2 for just one instrument.
Read that and think about what you just wrote. Also, if you are getting feedback and do not want it, fix it at its source.

You are missing some steps and why would you re-amp when you are recording live sounds? Re-amp'ing is done after something has been recorded into a DAW. You are over complicating something that should be very simple and easy..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search