The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how can I monitor during re-amping? Direct Injection Boxes
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

how can I monitor during re-amping?

I just bought a Behiringer 404 interface and a Radial ProRMP 1-channel Passive Re-Amping Device. I plan on recording upstairs (my marshall half stack is in the basement) into my Behringer which is connected to my laptop. I want to play with some distortion while playing, but I want the recorded sound to be clean so I can re-amp it later. Is there someway that I can hear distortion as an FX so I can I monitor it (I want to make sure that I'm not accidentally bumping into other strings and distortion really exposes all of your mistakes, etc) but the recorded signal must be clean.

Any ideas as to how I can do this?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Plug your guitar intro the interface (and record that input).
Send the incoming signal out the interface and monitor that (put effect on it as desired) signal.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post
I just bought a Behiringer 404 interface and a Radial ProRMP 1-channel Passive Re-Amping Device. I plan on recording upstairs (my marshall half stack is in the basement) into my Behringer which is connected to my laptop. I want to play with some distortion while playing, but I want the recorded sound to be clean so I can re-amp it later. Is there someway that I can hear distortion as an FX so I can I monitor it (I want to make sure that I'm not accidentally bumping into other strings and distortion really exposes all of your mistakes, etc) but the recorded signal must be clean.

Shouldn't your subject be monitoring before reamping?

Anyway, as long as the buffer size is low, any Amp sim plugin inserted on your guitar channel would do the job to let you play/monitor with distortion. Then, when you reamp, take off the plugin and make sure the output of the channel you want to reamp is different than the output of the rest of your mix.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurveman View Post
Shouldn't your subject be monitoring before reamping?

Anyway, as long as the buffer size is low, any Amp sim plugin inserted on your guitar channel would do the job to let you play/monitor with distortion. Then, when you reamp, take off the plugin and make sure the output of the channel you want to reamp is different than the output of the rest of your mix.

my god I'm an idiot. for whatever reason, I was thinking putting a plug-in on a channel in reaper was like destructive-editing. I think I've been working too long in Izotope's RX.... thank you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

use a direct box

almost every DI box ever made has both XLR mic-level out and Hi-Z 1/4" out.

plug your guitar into the DI box - NOT the direct input on your interface. Go in (direct) from the direct box via XLR. At the same time, take the Hi-Z parallel into your amp. Mic up your amp. Record this mic, even if plan to toss it away later.

group these tracks together. When you play your amp is your monitor. If the amp is in another room, monitor the mic signal from that amp. I avoid amp sims because of the latency. Unless you have something like the UAD stuff where you can insert the plug within the cue mix software app, don't even bother.

now you have a pair of tracks - one from your amp as it is, and a clean DI grouped with it. (when editing, the clean DI can be very useful for seeing attacks that a distorted wave may hide)

Once your pair is edited send the clean DI out of the interface via the reamp box and adjust your amp one more time, and record it with a mic one more time

Use the pencil tool to draw a one sample "pop" on the DI track just before the song begins. The reamping may introduce some latency and this one sample "tic" will help you line it back up.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglijimus View Post

reamp while tracking as well
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search