The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic Preamp Suggestions for Radio Dynamic Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Mic Preamp Suggestions for Radio

Hello! I've been a full time rock jock in radio for about a decade. About a year ago the company set me up with a VPN machine to do shows from anywhere with wifi. They gave me a AT2020USB which I do not like and doesn't sound great. I've been doing some research on how to upgrade my rig and need your help!

I've now got a TLM103 running through a Shure MVi into my work laptop. I bought a Scarlett but I don't have authority to download drivers on the laptop (which is just a cheap dell). The company sent me the MVi and it is plug and play. Perhaps there's one that's better that is plug and play?

The current rig sounds great

Laptop/Sound/Recording/Microphone/Levels
I have this ALL the way down at -50db

The MVi I have set to the voice bubble without the note in it (middle left)
I have the mic volume on MVi at 3 of 8

Headphone volume on 8 of 8.

It sounds good but it still gets a little peaky. I tend to get up on the mic and I'm generally on the energetic side almost screamy at times.

I've been doing mic preamp research and I've got a few I think would kick butt but I'm hoping for some advice from the experts!

Portable (fits in lap top bag) would be nice but I don't mind purchasing two separate units if I need to.

If I'm getting two units (one for booth and one for travel) I'd get the booth unit first and purchase price is <$1000

SO! My question is.... will a preamp help me with these volume issues and if so which one should I get??

This forum rules thanks in advance!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Sound like you need compression, consider a channel strip that has a compressor instead of just a preamp. Buget ?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm doing a show right now and just had to turn my mic down to 2 on the MVi to keep it from peaking. I'm also dealing with my headphones not being loud enough even at full volume. They're louder on playback than they are while recording. Fixable?
30 years of playing drums doesn't help this I like things loud.

My budget is open minded as this is my full time gig. Nothing too crazy though.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock View Post

It sounds good but it still gets a little peaky. I tend to get up on the mic and I'm generally on the energetic side almost screamy at times.
Maybe what you really need is a dynamic microphone. Lots of options out there. A classic and inexpensive option is a Shure SM58. An EV RE-20 is another classic radio option. If you're a little peaky, I'd say maybe add a compressor, like an FMR RNC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock View Post
I bought a Scarlett but I don't have authority to download drivers on the laptop (which is just a cheap dell). The company sent me the MVi and it is plug and play. Perhaps there's one that's better that is plug and play?

The current rig sounds great.
If you don't have the authority, talk to someone who does. Mind you, if you think it sounds great, don't change it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

The compressor when set properly will reduce the dynamic range between the softer and louder parts. Usually it will sound louder within the context of the overall mix. There are several choices in channel strip featuring compressors from $200 - $5000 or even more. If you are in and untreated room then you probably don't need something high end. Maybe something like a presonus studio channel or art pro channel.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Art Tube MP/C??
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Old radio guy here...

Compression... that’s gonna be the ticket. Are you broadcasting or are you using the rig to cut promos, spots, etc... or both?

What software are you recording/tracking into?
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm voice tracking on two rock channels for a large radio company that has their own software.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Ok I'm trading in the TLM103 for a SM7B and a Cloudlifter CLZ with enough money left over for new headphones and a fancy mic stand and some extra cash.

Thanks dudes!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Yeah, my quick reaction to this was either

a. Get a dynamic (sm7 or RE20)

or

b. Get a comp (FMR RNC)

Either would get you where you needed to be.

Good luck man!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search