The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Too Much Bass Strings Acoustic Fingerstyle
Old 9th November 2018
Here for the gear

Too Much Bass Strings Acoustic Fingerstyle

Hi,
Looking for tips on fixing a finger picked blues resonator guitar track. A thumb pick was used and the bass from the thumb pick (E-A-D strings)is overpowering the high end (G-B-E strings) picked with fingers. Can’t be retracked.
I’ve been playing around with Izotope Nuetron 2 to see if that could help reign it in.
Thanks
Old 9th November 2018
Quote:
A thumb pick was used and the bass from the thumb pick (E-A-D strings)is overpowering the high end (G-B-E strings)
Can’t be retracked.
If the strings are payed separately, then you can use volume envelopes/automation to tame them. If they are played and they are in chords and overlap, you got what you got.

If you are looking for a cure, its impossible to say as I would need to have the track in front of me. But you can try these tools and see if you can do it as this is what I would try to do and use:

Maybe try a multiband compressor
Maybe something like Melodyne can separate the strings and then you can edit them, but it can degage the sound if overdone.
Maybe a simple EQ cut in the right spot can do it
Maybe some mid and side EQ techniques can tame it a bit.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

You might be able to tame it a bit with a multi-band compressor. Only one way to find out.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Melodyne in polyphonic mode once it sperates the notes you can raise and lower their volume

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search