The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to setup my default DAW template
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Maniac

How to setup my default DAW template

Hi there. I'm currently trying to reconfigure my default DAW template for new projects. I'm into trying to replicate 60's-70's style recording for myself regardless of what type of music I'm making.

I'm currently using software for everything. Cubase artist 7.5. I have Bias for amp sim (which I actually find quite nice), Komplete 9, Waves bundle (forget which one), and a fabfilter bundle.

For hardware I have an electic guitar, bass guitar, acoustic, midi keyboard, audient id14, 8 knob/fader tool, a UA solo 610 preamp, an SM57 and a AT 4041 for microphones. I also have a Marshall DSL 40C but its not practical for me to be using it so often.

My issue is the routing and the track setup. I will write my questions down in point for for organization.

1.) Guitars. I have 3 seperate electric guitar tracks each with a Bias loaded in them for a simulated 3 mic setup on 3 amps. They are all being outputted to a group where I will have processing done. My questions are:

a.)How can I have a "software pedalboard" setup with bias before entering into the 3 seperately "miked" channels? I find it impractical to have the effect chain in each instance of Bias threetimes over. But I cannot figure out a way to make it go 'Software pedal effects ->3 seperate channels of Bias -> Group Channel. If I make the 'pedalboard' track it either feeds into the stereo out or the group track. But then I have my 3 non-effect channels of Bias also going into the group. How can I do this?

b.)Should I put channel strips (either 1 complete plug-in or many) into each track of guitars and then another in the group? Should I process them all individually and then again together in the group?

2.) What kind of chains and/or plug-ins of the ones I have would you recommend for the type of recording I want to do for
-guitars
-bass
-piano
-drums (kick, snare, H.hat, toms, room, OH, etc)
-Keys
-Groups
-Master

For reference, my favourite sounding Rock records on an engineering level are DSOTM, Zeppelin IV, Stadium Arcadium, Revolver, And especially The Empyrean (John Frusciante).

Thank you so much to anyone who can help.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post
1.) Guitars. I have 3 seperate electric guitar tracks each with a Bias loaded in them for a simulated 3 mic setup on 3 amps. They are all being outputted to a group where I will have processing done. My questions are:

a.)How can I have a "software pedalboard" setup with bias before entering into the 3 seperately "miked" channels? I find it impractical to have the effect chain in each instance of Bias threetimes over. But I cannot figure out a way to make it go 'Software pedal effects ->3 seperate channels of Bias -> Group Channel. If I make the 'pedalboard' track it either feeds into the stereo out or the group track. But then I have my 3 non-effect channels of Bias also going into the group. How can I do this?
"Software pedal effects ->3 seperate channels of Bias -> Group Channel "
I can't see how you would do this in real life.
The three separate tracks are three separate players, they can't all be playing through the same pedal board and after that splitting separate signals to their own amps.

Quote:
b.)Should I put channel strips (either 1 complete plug-in or many) into each track of guitars and then another in the group? Should I process them all individually and then again together in the group?
Depends on what you want to process, individual processing needs to be done on each track, buss processing can be done in the group.

Quote:
2.) What kind of chains and/or plug-ins of the ones I have would you recommend for the type of recording I want to do for
-guitars
-bass
-piano
-drums (kick, snare, H.hat, toms, room, OH, etc)
-Keys
-Groups
-Master
I don't believe in "default" processing.
It depends on the sound of the source and the sound you want to create.
I would start with minimal processing and only add something if really needed.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
"Software pedal effects ->3 seperate channels of Bias -> Group Channel "
I can't see how you would do this in real life.
The three separate tracks are three separate players, they can't all be playing through the same pedal board and after that splitting separate signals to their own amps.

Depends on what you want to process, individual processing needs to be done on each track, buss processing can be done in the group.

I don't believe in "default" processing.
I''m trying to imitate what an actual guitar rig would be like when recording...guitar-pedalboard-amps/cabinets-microphones (I've read that on most of the recordings I like there are around 1-4 tracks for a given guitar part)

In terms of the individual processing, I'm still quite unsure of what to be doing. I have a general idea but in actual practice I'm quite confused still. Are there any directions you may point other than to practice (because I am)? I have the time and the will to get my recording and mixing down but want to get a grip as quickly as possible.
Old 9th November 2018
Gear Guru

I agree with BT. What you say you want seems to be what you can't do.

Just follow the signal from source to destination(s). Once something has been combined it can't be easily separated (if at all).
Old 10th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
.. I don't believe in "default" processing.
I agree totally with that, but to add. What I've done over the years is to collect and evolve various templates styles (depending on project types), but saved filled in with the various track and bus tools disabled and/or 'zeroed out.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search