The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is This Doubling or What?
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear

Is This Doubling or What?

Hey guys!

I came across this song by Maroon 5 the other day and I thought that a certain part of it was a really good example of a vocal sound I've been trying to achieve as of recent but wasn't too sure how to do so.

This is the song:

YouTube

The desired vocal effect/sound starts at :40.

Its that wide, almost doubled effect and sound that I'm looking for.

My question is basically, how is that sound achieved?

Is it doubling?

Is it the results of a spreader or something?

It almost sounds too clean to me to be the result of a double.

Any ideas?
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbartsctr View Post
Is it doubling?

Is it the results of a spreader or something?

It almost sounds too clean to me to be the result of a double.
to my ears it sounds like the 1 vocal track that has been copied and then moved in time maybe a 64th or so. perhaps even less.

then the 2 tracks have been panned to create the stereo spread.

the 2 tracks could also have been Bussed to a stereo group, have been enhanced with stereo imaging plugs. possible very small amounts of modulation.

usually when you double track in reality, you end up with more variance between the takes, and its more obvious.

of course Mr Levine could be just so dam tight, that he can nail it like that.

just my opinion. Buddha
Old 3rd November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
to my ears it sounds like the 1 vocal track that has been copied and then moved in time maybe a 64th or so. perhaps even less.

then the 2 tracks have been panned to create the stereo spread.

the 2 tracks could also have been Bussed to a stereo group, have been enhanced with stereo imaging plugs. possible very small amounts of modulation.

usually when you double track in reality, you end up with more variance between the takes, and its more obvious.

of course Mr Levine could be just so dam tight, that he can nail it like that.

just my opinion. Buddha

Thanks dude!!
I agree. It just seems way too tight and consistent to be a legitimate double.

You mentioned stereo imaging plugs.. Are there any that you would personally recommend?
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbartsctr View Post
Thanks dude!!
I agree. It just seems way too tight and consistent to be a legitimate double.

You mentioned stereo imaging plugs.. Are there any that you would personally recommend?
that would depend on what you were trying to achieve?

often when i have a stereo instrument group and want more definition, then various things can work. sometimes static EQ.

for 2 buss stereo image adjust i often use an SPL mk2-Tube Vitaliser, but a hardware unit.

for ITB and $29 waves has a thing called Vitamin. its nothing like the SPL, but basically its a software multiband with 5 outputs, and a harmonics exciter of some kind.

the individual bands can be tweaked in terms of excitation/level and also Panning.

so you can mono up the low frequencies if you want and spread the hi frequencies wider, on a stereo buss or group.

that adds definition. its actually reasonably good if used in moderation.

last week i was ITB mixing and had a stereo Brass group, and i wanted real old school funk vibe (toppy and bright, mixed way back) so i ran vitamin hard across them and spread and widened the tops and mono the bass/lows. it sure did the trick.

i havent tried Vitamin on vocal groups or BVs though.

the UAD Oxford limiter has an enhance slider control, that also brings back hard panned transients into the mix, but Oxford Limiter is usually used on the mix Buss.

i like the Oxford and even though Fab Filter limiter can deliver more level, i use the UAD in preference because of the Transient enhance slider.

i am not suggested either the SPL or the Vitamin or Oxford are being used on the vocal track you initially queried, but they are all stereo adjust processors.

actually to bring vocals foward like that in a mix for ITB i would probablly reach for a stereo UAD Neve 88RS master buss processor, and insert that across the group.

the Neve 88RS is an underrated plug.

i hope that helps Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Is This Doubling or What?-hi-voltage-neve-8803-eq.jpg  
Old 7th November 2018
Lives for gear

I’m personally fan of actual multitrack vocal doubling but if you’re after the more subtle effect (like in the prechorus of this song) then I would reach for the SoundToys MicroShift plug-in. I dumped all my other doubler plugins after getting MicroShift.

YMMV
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
I’m personally fan of actual multitrack vocal doubling but if you’re after the more subtle effect (like in the prechorus of this song) then I would reach for the SoundToys MicroShift plug-in. I dumped all my other doubler plugins after getting MicroShift.

YMMV
Awesome, thanks man!

I have Soundtoys Little Alter Boy. Big fan. I'll definitely have to look into the Microshift.
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
that would depend on what you were trying to achieve?

often when i have a stereo instrument group and want more definition, then various things can work. sometimes static EQ.

for 2 buss stereo image adjust i often use an SPL mk2-Tube Vitaliser, but a hardware unit.

for ITB and $29 waves has a thing called Vitamin. its nothing like the SPL, but basically its a software multiband with 5 outputs, and a harmonics exciter of some kind.

the individual bands can be tweaked in terms of excitation/level and also Panning.

so you can mono up the low frequencies if you want and spread the hi frequencies wider, on a stereo buss or group.

that adds definition. its actually reasonably good if used in moderation.

last week i was ITB mixing and had a stereo Brass group, and i wanted real old school funk vibe (toppy and bright, mixed way back) so i ran vitamin hard across them and spread and widened the tops and mono the bass/lows. it sure did the trick.

i havent tried Vitamin on vocal groups or BVs though.

the UAD Oxford limiter has an enhance slider control, that also brings back hard panned transients into the mix, but Oxford Limiter is usually used on the mix Buss.

i like the Oxford and even though Fab Filter limiter can deliver more level, i use the UAD in preference because of the Transient enhance slider.

i am not suggested either the SPL or the Vitamin or Oxford are being used on the vocal track you initially queried, but they are all stereo adjust processors.

actually to bring vocals foward like that in a mix for ITB i would probablly reach for a stereo UAD Neve 88RS master buss processor, and insert that across the group.

the Neve 88RS is an underrated plug.

i hope that helps Buddha
Awesome!!

Thanks so much for the in-depth response my man!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search