The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on BLU-160
Old 29th October 2018
Here for the gear

Thoughts on BLU-160

I have a BSS Blu-160 that I was given and was wondering what people's opinions are on using it as a studio preamp. Is it a high quality preamp? I know all the other capabilities and can get the audio out over a blu-usb.

It does gain adjustments in 6dB steps which would be a negative, but how would it stack up quality wise to a standalone preamp?
Old 1st November 2018
Quote:
I have a BSS Blu-160 that I was given and was wondering what people's opinions are on using it as a studio preamp. Is it a high quality preamp?
Its not your tradition studio pre-amp. But If you have it, try using it and see how it sounds to you.

Its all about personnel preferences when it comes to things like this. AS everyone will have different opinions on things that effect the signal.

Quote:
It does gain adjustments in 6dB steps which would be a negative, but how would it stack up quality wise to a standalone preamp?
Which studio pre-amp? There are thousands of them. I'm sure its better than some of them, (buts its personnel l preferences that determines this) but this is not a traditional pre-amp as i said. So you are comparing apples to watermelons. Just try it and see if you like it. Its the best way to see if you like it..
Old 16th May 2019
Here for the gear

Bss has two levels of these units. The 800 series and the 100 series that have preamps. I am not sure about the 300 series as I kind of understood them more as dsp less routing boxes. At any rate there is a huge price difference between a Blu 100 and a Blu 800 and with that I am pretty sure that is all hardware based differences as they share most of the same functionality. Bss stopped making speaker processors (Omnidrives) years ago and I certain those customers were what the 100 series was targeted at. An open architecture (it can be whatever you want it to be) processor that doesn't need to be super high end fidelity but does almost anything you could envision. The Blu 100 is a unit that competes price wise with most general speaker processors but does way more. The biggest thing is it is completely scalable. I think the London Blu's in general are some of the coolest products on the market. There are many who have copied it but few are quite as configurable. Dante, AES, AVB, Cobranet, as well as HIQ Net and analogue. Did I miss any? We are all looking to eliminate analogue conversions in our systems asfor most of us that is now one of the greatest Sonic degradation sources our systems have. This is a big step towards making that entirely possible. Not to mention it is just a great DSP system. What did you need it to do? It does it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search