The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is there a way to reduce distortion?
Old 24th October 2018
Here for the gear

Is there a way to reduce distortion?

Hi everyone,

I have recorded a track with my synth on Ableton Live, but i've lost that sound on the synth so i cant' recover and modulate the sound through it.
Is there a way, as a VST or kind of that made possible to reduce distortion on a already recorded sound?

Many Thanks
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear
Not really. Clipped is clipped.
I know that iZotope has something like RX De-clip but don't expect wonders...
Old 24th October 2018
Gear Guru

With iZotope RX "DeClip" it's hit-or-miss. It does digital clipping pretty well. Basically anything that has a cut-the-top-of-the-waveform-off kind of distortion. But any other distortion it doesn't do well at all, so it depends on what type of distortion you are stuck with.
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear

+1 for Izotope Rx. If it is just a bit of clipping it can be removed fairly convincingly, but it definitely can't fix extreme clipping.
Old 25th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabucodinosaur View Post
Hi everyone,

I have recorded a track with my synth on Ableton Live, but i've lost that sound on the synth so i cant' recover and modulate the sound through it.
Is there a way, as a VST or kind of that made possible to reduce distortion on a already recorded sound?

Many Thanks
I would have to hear the sound to determine what could be done with the sound RX tools.

But if its distortion like in a rock/metal song, then No, you cannot remove just the distortion. You cannot adjust the amount of flour in bread that is already baked

CJ
Old 12th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you guys iZotope has a very useful set of tools and i find out one that fully "repaired" that track! Moreover i discovered that is not "De-Clip" that helped out but "De-Crackle" instead. So i guess it was a misunderstanding title as it was not proper calling that "distortion" but was more probably a "crackle" (which i don't have the knowledge to explain the difference between the two but it seemed to me a kind of distortion so i give you my apologies about this)...... Anyway i solved this thanks again
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search