The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question about "analog" eq plugins
Old 23rd October 2018
Here for the gear

Question Question about "analog" eq plugins

Hi, sort of a noob question.

I have been experimenting with "analog" eq plugins. Waves H-EQ and PuigTec EQP-1A to be exact.

I was wondering why they instantly(before I touch any knobs) increase the level of everything I put them on?

Also, I was wondering the best way to compensate for this? I know I should be level matching when I EQ, but I'm wondering if there is a right way to do this with these plugins since they seem to be increasing level automatically. Should I be lowering the input to level match, then eq? Or should I eq first then lower the output to level match? or is it something else? Should I be adjusting levels in the plugin or at the fader?

Like I said, im a noob when it comes to "analog" plugins..so any tips would be great! Thanks!
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear
Unfortunately it’s a little cheat that many software companies use. They know that even a tiny level boost of less than 1/2 dB will make the plug sound better than flat.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

It's to trick you into think it's doing something good by making it sound more forward. it's tom foolery. bringing the gain up 3 tenths will convince you that it sounds better even if their dsp math is making it sound worse.
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

These points are exactly, and it is so easily shown with the brick wall of digital as opposed to overdriving into tape , that the"is it better' test is best done when level matching to the peak not averaging level of each processed track .. then A/B'ing
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

These points are exactly, and it is so easily shown with the brick wall of digital as opposed to overdriving into tape , that the"is it better' test is best done when level matching to the peak not averaging level of each processed track .. then A/B'ing
Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Old 23rd October 2018
Lives for gear

Nothing that useful to be done about the boost that you get when first engaging the plug-in - which is usually a pretty small amount. But if you want to be able do do a level-matched A/B comparison, then insert the lightest-weight gain plug-in you can right after the EQ (I have the Klanghelm freebie on a lot of channels), and adjust it to compensate for level once you've dialled in your EQ settings. At least that way, you can pretty quickly bypass the EQ and gain plugin for level-matched comparison.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search