The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
UAD Tape Cal Level
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear
UAD Tape Cal Level

Hi all,

I'm not a noob, but I kinda feel like one asking this question!

According to the UAD manual, the Cal Level control on the Studer + Ampex tape plugins "sets the reference tape/ flux level without disturbing the (unity) gain of the plug-in".

Trying to figure out what that means exactly. I'm just such a software kid and didn't grow up using tape so this kind of lingo isn't second nature to me.

Does it kinda mean that it's lowering the headroom of the tape with an increase in cal level, thus causing the tape to saturate at a lower input level? Would increasing the cal level 3dB have the same effect as turning the input up 3dB and output down dB? Or am I way off the mark? Certainly my ears tell me that increasing the cal level seems to squish the sound a touch more.

Are there are resources that I could start with in terms of learning more about real tape and so forth?

Thanks in advance.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search