The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Adding FXs while monitoring in mono (Avantone)
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

Adding FXs while monitoring in mono (Avantone)

I'm doing my first mixes in mono with just one speaker (avantone mixcube).

2 questions:

1- In your stereo mixing process- When do you add your FXs? My methodology is:

a)Select the most important element in the song.
b)Make it sound good (soloed)
c)Add FX (reverb, etc)
d)Go to the next most important element of the song and repeat the process but without using the solo button
e) Repeat d.

2- In your mono mixing process - I find it very difficult to monitor my fxs, Should I switch to my main stereo monitors to add fxs? In other words..

Should I only use my Avantone to do a tonal balance first (only eq/compression) and then switch to stereo to add everything else (panning, FXs)? How do you guys deal with the FXs processing while mixing in mono?

Cheers!
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilio View Post
I'm doing my first mixes in mono with just one speaker (avantone mixcube).

2 questions:

1- In your stereo mixing process- When do you add your FXs? My methodology is:

a)Select the most important element in the song.
b)Make it sound good (soloed)
c)Add FX (reverb, etc)
d)Go to the next most important element of the song and repeat the process but without using the solo button
e) Repeat d.

2- In your mono mixing process - I find it very difficult to monitor my fxs, Should I switch to my main stereo monitors to add fxs? In other words..

Should I only use my Avantone to do a tonal balance first (only eq/compression) and then switch to stereo to add everything else (panning, FXs)? How do you guys deal with the FXs processing while mixing in mono?

Cheers!
I mix in entirely in stereo to a point, then cross check my mix looking for certain things in mono (mostly vocals and phase issues). Rinse and repeat.

Also, although I do have the means to flip a switch and hear 'mono'.. I've found that I can experience a more 'true' mono by simply stepping outside the studio and listening in the hallway. The door frame acts like one sound source and (again) phase issues become instantly obvious.

I would never add fx in mono.
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
I mix in entirely in stereo to a point, then cross check my mix looking for certain things in mono (mostly vocals and phase issues). Rinse and repeat.

Also, although I do have the means to flip a switch and hear 'mono'.. I've found that I can experience a more 'true' mono by simply stepping outside the studio and listening in the hallway. The door frame acts like one sound source and (again) phase issues become instantly obvious.

I would never add fx in mono.
Nice one, I'm trying my new Avantone (just one) at a very low volume (normal conversation volume) and is working very well. However, I constantly double check with my stereo monitors and headphones.

I've heard that many engineers work an 80% this way (mono) and I'm wondering if they add their fxs during the last 20% of their process or when? and how? I think that adding FXs at later stages is not a good idea, since it will definitely affect the tonal balance of the work that you've already done (?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search