The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please help, connecting record player and audio interface to same set of monitors
Old 19th October 2018
Here for the gear

Please help, connecting record player and audio interface to same set of monitors

Hey everyone!

I'm new here and I'm not sure how much of a newbie question this is but,

I have a pair of Yamaha HS8 monitors hooked up to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface for music production/listening to music on my computer.

I also have a record player and I'm looking to play it on my Yamaha HS8s as well.

I know you're not supposed to plug two inputs to on a single monitor, and I'm struggling to figure out the best solution for this other than to buy another pair of monitors specifically for the record player. What is the best solution here? Of course I want to buy any equipment necessary to do this in a safe way, but I'm also not trying to break the bank. I'd also like to have control over the volume of my record player, whether it be from my Focusrite interface or through another piece of equipment I need to buy to solve this (my record player does not have its own volume knob)

Please let me know if there is any additional information which would be helpful in trying to solve this.

Thank you!
-Dray

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has two 1/4"/XLR inputs and two 1/4" outputs, as well as a 1/4" output for headphones.

The Yahama HS8s each have a 1/4" input and XLR input.

The record player an Audio Technica AT-LP 60 is RCA.
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear
You could use the line inputs on the 2i2 but you would also always need to have the computer on then (the 2i2 has no standalone feature).
You could also buy a little mixer and connect the 2i2 and record player to that to go to the monitors.
Old 19th October 2018
Here for the gear

lol wow. thanks a ton. so obvious, i don't know how i didn't think of that!!

I have a DI box RCA to XLR already too, works perfectly.

Thanks again!
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear
One serious problem, probably... Most turntables, or record players, should be played back through a special preamp with an RIAA playback EQ. Without that corrective EQ, records will be much lighter on the bass and brighter on the top than the artists, producers and engineers intended. Every stereo system “back in the day” had a stereo rca plug phono input that connected through the RIAA playback EQ. A few companies have offered separate little playback boxes for turntables. ART had one that wasn’t too expensive. I don’t know if they still make it.
Old 19th October 2018
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrow View Post
Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen this device, but it is a very affordable and well thought out solution.
Old 20th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Thanks for the link. I’ve never seen this device, but it is a very affordable and well thought out solution.
yeah , its worked fine for me.....
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
One serious problem, probably...
Nope. The AT-LP 60 has a line out (switch on the back) so no phono pre-amp needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draytone_ View Post
I have a DI box RCA to XLR already too, works perfectly.
No need for a DI, its line to line.
Unless you are running long cables and want it to be balanced.
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear
You asked the first question, but I’m getting the education here... I looked up the AT-LP 60. I didn’t know they were building the phono preamp into some turntables. That also makes perfect sense, and I trust Audio-Technica to provide a fully pro-quality device.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search