The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to thicken ..?
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Head

How to thicken ..?

Hi guys,

I'm recording some clean electric guitars thru an amp, DI > 1073 > EQ > Compressor > DAW and generally I'm happy with the tone however would like to make the (clean) guitar sound a bit thicker, fatter ..??

Already using the HPF (EQ) but feel there is a frequency in EQ (4 band full par) that may give me some thickness.

Been wiggling with that all day, and my ears are a bit tired, so please help me ...

... pre delay (in Reverb) is giving me some space, but I need a bit more ..

Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Double the part or use a chorus/harmonizer to make it thicker. You can also pan the clean guitar left and reverb to the right.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

It's hard to say without hearing the track, but here are some general tips you can try.

Double the track. Then add some low mids (somewhere in the 200-500Hz range) with a wide Q and, if necessary, cut some high end with a shelf (possibly as low as 2kHz).

You might also try a tape sim instead of the high shelf to smooth out the high end and add a bit of saturation.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Parallel compression?
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Post some audio - otherwise people are just guessing.

(For instance: tone can also be thickened by dipping out harsher upper-mid frequencies, or rounding off the top; but we can't know until we hear.)
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

ITB

Sausage Fattener by Dada Life
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

For my DI electric tones I sometime use Digi's Lo-Fi plug in parallel panned off a bit to add some thicker character.

I like their BF76 compressor in parallel for that as well.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

For clean sounding that setup may work but for sounding like an electric guitar amped and miced its a fail.

If you're going to record direct get yourself an amp modeler. Even an inexpensive one like a Vox Stomplab will blow your socks off for realistic tones.
They key is not just the 20 or so amp heads you can choose but the dozen or so cabinet impulses which really do the trick making the guitar sit properly in a mix.

you can still use your other setup if you want clean tones, but I would suggest you add a cabinet simulator like this. Aroma ASR-3 Shaper Classic Cabinet Simulator Single Electric Guitar Analogue | eBay
The key to it is when you select something like a 8" or a 40X10" or a 4X12 cab your guitars frequency response is not only going to sound like its being played through those cabs but it takes the top and bottom off just like a speaker does. Speaker EQ the sound from an amp head and give the frequency response a curve that matches a speaker.

Without the cab simulation you're going to have a totally flat Hi Fi tone which is highly sterile sounding. Yes you can EQ it but the odds of you dialing up the frequency response a speaker produces is close to zip. I know first hand because I been recording direct for over 40 years and have used all the tricks. Dialing the sound up mixing is a real show stopper too.

Last time I did It I tracked a recorded a local band and miced the guitar amp and DI's the clean guitar too as a safety backup. Sure enough he had one song where the speakers on his Line 6 amp totally farted out. Absolutely no way to salvage the lead part he did. I did have the 100% dry track however. Took me about 16 hours of work finding the ideal tools, gains levels and settings to match the sound he was getting from his amp but I eventually succeeded. As you can guess that's not the way I'd choose to get a DI track to sound good. I'd much rather track a part and only have to add a little icing on the cake when mixing.

I used to use all kinds of rack preamps, EQ's Multi effects units tracking direct. It wasn't easy but it worked. If anything it taught me allot. Today with the newer amp modeling effects units, I have all that old gear collecting dust now. I can be tracked, mixed and mastered in the time it takes me to get those older units powered up and tweaked to perfection. I'd also note, you can dial up anything from an ultra clean acoustic guitar sound all the way up to the heaviest tones you'd ever want or need. For my own stuff I like having some gain so It makes playing easier but I'm able to clean it up by using my guitars volume like you would on an amp. Then I can have a contrast between clean and driven which is the key to having a mix sound fat.
Old 18th October 2018
Lives for gear

Oh, yeah, I totally missed the part where you didn't mention "amp sim" in your chain. Lot of people get great tones with amp sims, and while many/most guitarists still prefer tracking through an amp for the response when playing, DI-and-sim route is a totally acceptable alternative in all but the most purist of circles - but not something you can get close to just through EQ curves.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Guru

I keep seeing "How to chicken"..... there's something wrong with me I think...
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I keep seeing "How to chicken"..... there's something wrong with me I think...
If I were to 'chicken', I'd do it like this:

I know there's something wrong with me. I alternately saw "how to Robin Thicken".
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Stockcubes help chicken soup thicken. Mixcubes help thin mixes thicken.
Old 19th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
If I were to 'chicken', I'd do it like this:

I know there's something wrong with me. I alternately saw "how to Robin Thicken".
condolences...(?)
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

180 hz-560 hz is the meat in an electric gtr
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search