The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How To Get THIS Compression Sound
Old 17th October 2018
Arrow How To Get THIS Compression Sound

Listen to this track off the Ocean's 12 soundtrack: YouTube

I'm curious how to get the compression sound. It's on the drums in the first half of the song and the bass guitar in the second half. It sounds like they're going through a Dyna Comp pedal.

I tried to emulate on my own music with different compressor plugins (API 2500, SSL Bus Comp, DBX,) but I couldn't get that snappy/poppy sound, no matter how fast I set my attack and release. Someone tell me how to get it! Please. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2018
CEB
Gear Head

Ah, those soundtracks were tracked and I think mixed by Hugo Nicolson along with David Holmes. Hugo is a great engineer.

On the drums, that sound is similar to Pye compressors or a vari mu-type working hard. You might be able to mimic it with a fast attack and release on a VCA or FET but those topologies usually get a little too gnarly to sound that pillowy. Try either a Pye, RS124 or Fairchild plugin and see how that goes.

The bass is in the way it's being played (staccato, with a lot of pick attack) plus dialing in the compressor to let just enough of the picking transient through at a high ratio so it feels even more "plucky." If you can listen closely, you'll hear the pick transient.

It also helps to parallel compress the bass and drums together sometimes - it creates a thick column of sound sometimes. Other times, it's a mess.
Old 18th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Man that's a lot of "thwap". Not sure it actually sounds good, really.
Old 20th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
Sez you...
Sounds like the Boss CS-3 pedal, which imo is a little too artificial sounding. If people dig the sound though then smash away...
Old 21st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post

I'm curious how to get the compression sound. It's on the drums in the first half of the song and the bass guitar in the second half. It sounds like they're going through a Dyna Comp pedal.

I tried to emulate on my own music with different compressor plugins (API 2500, SSL Bus Comp, DBX,) but I couldn't get that snappy/poppy sound, no matter how fast I set my attack and release. Someone tell me how to get it! Please. Thanks.
Well, you couldn't get this sound w/ acoustic (real) drums. It's so extreme it would only work with isolated elements. Not sure if the bass is real either.

Have you tried the Arousor on the rivet ratio, w/ attack and release on zero?
Or any of those plugs that try to emulate that Distressor nuke sound?

Perhaps you should present this sound to Dave Derr on the Arousor thread.
Old 21st October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post

Vulf Compressor is probably the snappiest compressor in existence for drums (especially if you turn up the 'Digital Ref Level' in the advanced section). Not sure if that's what they used here, but it's certainly possible, perhaps in parallel with the dry signal.

Old 22nd October 2018
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinkerr View Post
Vulf Compressor is probably the snappiest compressor in existence for drums (especially if you turn up the 'Digital Ref Level' in the advanced section). Not sure if that's what they used here, but it's certainly possible, perhaps in parallel with the dry signal.

This is AWESOME.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search