The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Reverb help
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Head
Reverb help

Hi guys,

We have an amateur band that I'm recording in my basement.

I'm using a Mackie Onyx 1640i, and recording onto a MacBook using Logic 9.

My singer was complaining that we needed some Reverb, so I added the PlatinumVerb plug in.

Problem is, I'm overwhelmed with all of the potential settings, and underwhelmed with the result.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point on the settings, so I can get a touch Reverb without making it sound like the vocals are coming from the bottom of a swimming pool.

Or, if I should be using a different Logic Reverb plug in altogether.

My plug in options are:

AVerb
EbVerb
GoldVerb
PlatinumVerb
SilverVerb
Space Designer

Here's a screen shot of what I've tried:
Attached Thumbnails
Reverb help-screen-shot-2018-10-17-9.31.57-am.png  
Old 17th October 2018
Gear Guru

If you're placing this on an aux channel and are using a send from the vocal audio track to that aux then most people would leave the plugin at 100% "wet" and 0% "dry". The amount of reverb would then be adjust by using the fader of the aux channel. I would say that is the preferable way of working with a reverb on an aux.

If it sounds like a swimming pool and lowering the amount doesn't work, then what you would do is lower the reverberation time. Longer time = more reflections bouncing around that virtual room. Longer time implies bigger space.

Speaking of space you also have "room size" in the plugin. Again, if it sounds like the virtual space is too big just lower the size.

"Initial Delay" will likely delay the entire effect (not the "dry" portion likely). This creates a bit of space where the dry vocal exists by itself before the reverb kicks in. It may help you give definition to the voice if it starts to sound undefined and cloudy.

"Early reflections" are just what they sound like; the first bounce or two in a space from the source off the walls/floor/ceiling to the ears. I would maybe describe those as giving the room a certain character rather than just being "washy". You have that slider at the top above the image, and the "reverb" side of it is the later reflections. It's kind'a like you're lying in a bed and there are marbles on the mattress. Feeling more of the marbles relative to the bed = more early reflections. More soft mattress is more "reverb" on the slider.

This was a horrible explanation, but really just play around with one setting at a time while the vocal is soloed along with the reverb and pay careful attention to how the sound changes. If you're doing this in a hobby environment you might want to use headphones to more clearly hear how the settings change the sound. A hobby room with poor acoustic treatment can do all sorts of things to obscure the reverb effects and make it hard to determine good settings.

Obviously you can start with presets. A "hall" will be a larger space, often more "lush". A "plate" is a more "artificial" sound but can be very musical if it's a good plugin. "Rooms" are, well, rooms and tend to be smaller and more intimate perhaps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search