The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode NT1 not working with mixer or H4nPro
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear

Rode NT1 not working with mixer or H4nPro

Hello there !

I'm trying to connect a rode NT1 to a Xenyx Q802 USB mixer or to a Zoom H4nPro without results.

- When I purchased the NT1 was able to use it with the mixer (XLR cable and +48V on) but there was a delay (20+ seconds) between the moment I turned on the mixer and the mic start working (with a cheap mic that uses phantom power, I can use it right away)

- With the Zoom H4nPro is the same situation, the same delay but it worked 2 or three times. When using the NT1 with this recorder it can barely move the signal meter from -48, and the recorded sound is hard to perceive.

- For mixer and recorder, I disabled comp or EQ adjustments

I tested the XLR inputs of the Zoom with other mics with phantom power and works without problems. The Zoom recorder works flawlessly and I dont have any issues with that so far.

- After practicing with both devices(mixer or recorder), I kept the microphone in the case, free from humidity and dust sealed in a plastic bag. Last time used was 3 months ago

- This is the second NT1 microphone I use with the same problem. I know I'm new in this world of Audio recording and I don't know if I'm making mistakes or using these devices in a way that could lead to damage.

Thanks for your help to solve this.
Attached Thumbnails
Rode NT1 not working with mixer or H4nPro-low-recording.jpg   Rode NT1 not working with mixer or H4nPro-mixer-connnections.jpg   Rode NT1 not working with mixer or H4nPro-recorder-setup.jpg  
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Do you purchase them new? If you do, get a replacement or a refund. If you buy them used... There's your answer.
Old 9th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiedodger666 View Post
Do you purchase them new? If you do, get a replacement or a refund. If you buy them used... There's your answer.
Yah... it sucks, but, sounds like they’re busted
Old 13th November 2018
Here for the gear

I had some Rode NT1A problems, in my case I am 99% sure it was the cable. The cable that comes with the Rode NT1A is crap. Be sure to try a different cable.
Old 13th November 2018
Lives for gear

Some mics need a full 48 volt phantom power to operate and some don't. A quick look at the NT1 user manual indicates that the NT1 needs either 24 volt or 48 volt phantom power in order to work properly, with lower power levels resulting in reduced dynamic range (e.g., a quiet signal). Also, many interfaces and field recorders do not supply a full 48 volts even when they are rated as 48 volts.

You might try a stand alone phantom power supply to see if that improves things. If not, try a new cable. If nether of these resolve the issue, the mic is probably at fault.
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

It's been 4 weeks since the OP was here, but I'll ask a couple of questions in case he might return.

- Are you running the H4nPro on the AC adapter or are you using just batteries?
- Your image shows two XLR plugs into the Behringer mixer. Are these both condenser mics?

I can't find a specific spec for the current draw of the black NT1. My grey version NT1 supposedly needs 4.0ma supplied by phantom power. A spec I found for an NT1-a shows it requiring 5.7ma. Possibly if the H4nPro is running on batteries perhaps the batteries are weak or just simply can't provide the needed amount of current if the black NT1 is near what the NT1-a needs for current. Similarly if two mics plugged into mixer both have hefty current needs, it may be it's a bit much for the mixer to supply. If you are trying to use two mics into mixer, remove one leaving just the NT1 and see what happens.

Having two mics have the same problem just seems odd. The delay in the mic(s) powering up may be the capacitors in the mics circuits charging up. The inability to provide the necessary current when powering on may increase the delay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search