The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Learning analog recording and mastering help
Old 15th October 2018
Here for the gear

Learning analog recording and mastering help

Hi gearslutzers! I’m Chris from Rome ITA and this is my second post since I registered here on Gearslutz!

Firstly I would like to thanks all of you, bc with your precious knowledge I learned a lot. Let me say that I spent hours, days and months reading carefully the old treats, magazines, books, documentary about things revolving around the analog music and vinyls production.
I’m 28 years old and I’m sure that after you heard my story you can image that I’ve been collectin old tapes, vinyls, vintage music instruments, tube amplifiers/preamp (vintage cars and motorbikes too :D ahah) sorry for the OT but I love also te sound of old cars and motorbikes

Coming to conclusion I’ve setup my tiny unprofessional recording studio in Rome ( own a low-fi 8 track tape recorder Tascam 388 for recording, revox a77 15ips for mastering, a few microphones such as unexpensive Italian dual ribbons Geloso and others classic mics as shures and akg, recorded the music that I love and some friends project: blues, jazz, one man bands, protopunk, punk, glam, rock.

In the last couple of years I have been practicing a lot into my narrow studio and on those small analog recording desks but now I’m feeling like I need to make a step forward bc I want to learn more about the big machines such as Studers, Ampex, Telefunken, 8-16-24 tracks, full analogue mixing desks, patchbays ( never used) tube preamp- effects..
So I have been looking on the web for a professional sound engineer course-master and I found Sae London, MIS Rome and a few others course which seems like doesn’t really fit my needs.
Let me explain, I realised that the majority of the sound engineer courses on the market are focusing on DAW than tape analog machines, analog mastering exc..
I don’t wanna stuck in front of a laptop for the rest of my life, I would hate it and waste my money for a wrong music course focused on DAW so I decided to contact a few guys I know in my city (3-4) owners of fully analog mixing & mastering studios, asked them to go to learn and plan a “course” together that fit my needs and they said YES! they even said that once I’ll better learn the secrets I might get hired in their studios!! I feel super happy and enthusiast about all this..tomorrow I’m going to decide what to to do with one of this guys about my future,

As second option do you guys know anyone in EU who would be interested to shape a new but old style sound engineer? Obviously I don’t wanna be paid

For now this is all, thank you all in advance for your help and for reading
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Tarzia View Post
Hi gearslutzers! I’m Chris from Rome
For now this is all, thank you all in advance for your help and for reading
hi Chris from Rome. you are on the right track.

find a studio with a 2 inch and an analog console.

volunteer to help out, and you will learn all about it.

you don't need a course, just experience by being there.

thats the best way.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Learning analog recording and mastering help-control-room-1.jpg   Learning analog recording and mastering help-studer-a800.jpg   Learning analog recording and mastering help-analogue-rig.jpg  
Old 17th October 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks Big Budda for answering!
Wow congrats it’s such an incredible beast that 24ch Studer! What mixing desk do you pair with the Studer A800?
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Big Budda for answering!
Wow congrats it’s such an incredible beast that 24ch Studer! What mixing desk do you pair with the Studer A800?
i have an 80 model DDA- AMR24 console.

purely analog. it runs 48 tape returns ( 2 x 24 tracks) so i can have a digital 24 track and an analog 24 track hooked up at the same time.

then its easy to bounce between the analog studer and the DAW.

i worked on Neves full time for many years in the 80s and 90s and the DDA is very similar in sound believe it or not. and way less money these days. an absolute bargain of a console.

i will add a couple of photos.

Buddha
Attached Thumbnails
Learning analog recording and mastering help-dda-desk-.jpg   Learning analog recording and mastering help-jbls-dda.jpg   Learning analog recording and mastering help-tape-monitor-return.jpg  
Old 19th October 2018
Here for the gear

The red faders and those VU meters looks awesome
I found one DDA-ANR24 nearby for 4500€.
Have you Buddha ever experienced on 24 8 2 / 16 8 2 A&H System 8, Studiomaster, Mackie? I’m planning to get one of these consoles to pair with a Tascam 38 1/2 inch tape machine. There are a few consoles for a reasonable price!

Chris
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The red faders and those VU meters looks awesome
I found one DDA-ANR24 nearby for 4500€.
Have you Buddha ever experienced on 24 8 2 / 16 8 2 A&H System 8, Studiomaster, Mackie? I’m planning to get one of these consoles to pair with a Tascam 38 1/2 inch tape machine. There are a few consoles for a reasonable price!

Chris
that one you are looking at on eBay UK for 4500 is a very good buy.

if i told you what i paid for mine you wouldn't believe me.

the other desks mentioned i don't know.

buddha
Old 19th October 2018
Here for the gear

CONSOLE DDA AMR 24 - #5273128 - su Mercatino Musicale in Mixer Analogici

Above the link, the one I found it’s in ITA, not far from Rome. Yes I know with some people you can get very good deals
I’ll contact the seller to have more infos
Thanks Buddha
Chris
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
CONSOLE DDA AMR 24 - #5273128 - su Mercatino Musicale in Mixer Analogici

Above the link, the one I found it’s in ITA, not far from Rome. Yes I know with some people you can get very good deals
I’ll contact the seller to have more infos
Thanks Buddha
Chris
Chris, please note the DDA AMR24 has 48 track capacity.

i have 2 times 24 tracks permanently hooked up to mine.

an analog Studier A800 2 inch, and a 24 track DAW.

very nice to be able to bounce 24 on the fly both ways.

Buddha
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

I understand, so probably not the right choice for me
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand, so probably not the right choice for me
think long term.

a 24 track HD recorder with digital i/o can be had for a grand these days.

pip squeak money.

i have 2 Alesis HD24s for 48 track to digital tape, and just stream it through to the mac.

if i want an analog tape i just unplug one of the digital ones.

very easy with a 48 track desk.

thats why i bought the AMR-24.

best wishes. Buddha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search