The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Am I Doing Something Wrong? Audio Interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

I've been trying to record on Logic Pro x for so long to no avail. I've tried multiple things that people have suggested and nothing worked. Are my settings set up right?
Attached Thumbnails
Am I Doing Something Wrong?-image-10-13-18-8.50-am.jpg   Am I Doing Something Wrong?-image-10-13-18-8.51-am.jpg   Am I Doing Something Wrong?-image-10-13-18-8.51-am.jpg   Am I Doing Something Wrong?-img_6376.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Why input 2? Also, do you have phantom power enabled? Drivers installed for interface?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Of course you are doing something wrong. Otherwise you would be recording and not posting this. I don’t use Logic Pro, so I can’t give you specific advice, but I understand your frustration. The initial setup of a DAW, in my experience, is always done wrong, and usually fails in some little detail a newbie to the DAW won’t understand. Hang in!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by open_source View Post
Why input 2? Also, do you have phantom power enabled? Drivers installed for interface?
Input 1 didn’t work. I have a Mac, focusrite doesn’t need to update drivers for Mac. It’s just plug & play.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Have you tried switching that little metal switch on the interface from "Line" to "Inst(Instrument)"?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Turn down the monitor knob so as not to deafen yourself and switch on direct monitor. Do you hear the signal from the mic if you turn the monitor up carefully.
(Assuming you have speakers or headphones connected to the Focusrite you should)

If yes then something is wrong in Logic
If no then something is wrong with mic, cable or interface settings.

And....what is the mic exactly?
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer679 View Post
Input 1 didn’t work. I have a Mac, focusrite doesn’t need to update drivers for Mac. It’s just plug & play.
I have used Macs to run several shows and performances. I can assure you that there are times when you most certainly need to have the most updated drivers.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have used Macs to run several shows and performances. I can assure you that there are times when you most certainly need to have the most updated drivers.
I can assure you this is most certainly not one of those times
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Well you are the one who can't get sound. Are you able to use the interface with other programs? Audacity is free, and you could use it to test whether the issue is specific to Logic or not.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

From another recent post you made......
Quote:
I have a shure sm7b which is connected to my focusrite 2i2, which is connected to my IMac, my DBx286s is also connected to my focusrite. Logic reconginzes the focusrite, I put it as my output and input device in the audio settings, I have my input right. But it still will not let me record. I can hear myself through my headphones (which is connected to my focusrite, input monitoring is on), but when I press record nothing shows up. The only way I can record myself is if I record through the built in microphone on the Mac.
- Is this the same setup for this current thread or has something changed in the input setup?
- Is the SM7b going through the DBX or is is direct into the 2i2? Either way if using these you don't need phantom power.
- Is the ring around the Gain control on the 2i2 flickering (green/red) with input to the mic?
- I don't know Logic X Pro, but do you need to set up/assign I/O (inputs/outputs) and enable them as shown below?
Attached Thumbnails
Am I Doing Something Wrong?-s0462_mixiolabelsul3.png  
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well you are the one who can't get sound. Are you able to use the interface with other programs? Audacity is free, and you could use it to test whether the issue is specific to Logic or not.
First of all, the person you seem to be replying to is not the OP, and second, that person already suggested a method to determine if the problem is in Logic, or a hardware issue.

Quote:
While I do agree that drivers are usually the first thing to check with this sort of issue, if you look at the Focusrite website, you will notice that there is not even a driver available for this interface on Mac.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well you are the one who can't get sound.
You are getting snarky with the wrong person. You are replying to a different poster, not to the OP, who is the person unable to get sound from the setup.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
You are getting snarky with the wrong person. You are replying to a different poster, not to the OP, who is the person unable to get sound from the setup.
Fair enough. Just replying to the initial snarky response, btw. The original comment suggested that because this was a Mac, there were no drivers needed, which is not the case. It may be the case with Focusrite but not all interfaces.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

you are showing all the logic dialog boxes.

but have you looked in the mac system preferences, and in the audio section, selected the i/o option for your device?

thats the master control for audio in and out.

Buddha
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I've been trying to record on Logic Pro x for so long to no avail. I've tried multiple things that people have suggested and nothing worked. Are my settings set up right?
Show the settings of the Mac Audio / MIDI setup...
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough. Just replying to the initial snarky response, btw.
What you are calling the original snarky comment was said with a wink and was not intended as any kind of put down and I'm sorry if it upset you.

Quote:
The original comment suggested that because this was a Mac, there were no drivers needed, which is not the case. It may be the case with Focusrite but not all interfaces.
Here's the original comment. It specifies Focusrite. No-one is arguing that no Mac device needs drivers.

Quote:
I have a Mac, focusrite doesn’t need to update drivers for Mac. It’s just plug & play.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search