The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Madonna - "Borderline" piano sound Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Madonna - "Borderline" piano sound

does anyone know what this sound (the first piano note) is that occurs in many 80's recordings?

It sounds to me like there's something layered on top of the piano or some type of piano with a high timbre voice like a chime or something layered on top.

Does anyone know what this is?

Regards,

DK
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

It's a Fender Rhodes piano. Not the crappy DX7 version that took off later. Just a basic electronic piano. They are a bit pricey these days. I've owned four of them over the years. Still the last one I got. Of course, there are lots of great sample packs that emulate it. My favorite and the one I use most often is the Scarbee samples. It models everything. Including the unique sound it makes when you pull off on the key.

The Rhodes is on the left channel. There might be a bit of glock layered coming out of the right speaker. Of course, you could get that sound without a glock if you replaced all the hammers with hard tips. They did all kind of mods to it.

There's also a bit of Roland chorus on it.

After listening to it again, that's definitely a glockenspiel layered over the rhodes.

Last edited by jammiedodger666; 1 week ago at 03:01 PM.. Reason: clarity
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search