The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reamping Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Reamping

Hi im having problems with making reamp sound good on a metal track hi gain sound. I'm finding amps sound better with guitar going directly in to the amp, rather than using a di signal. Also I'm using pedals first and I'm suspecting next time i should probably only just use a noise suppressor

Signal chain is - windows 10 laptop running cubase pro with di guitar signal - out of soundcards audio 3 output (high gain) it's an apollo twin usb 3.0, - into Palmer decappo reamp box out into amp using high qaulity leads.

The guitar signal chain into the di when recording was electric guitar - boss ns2, ibanez tube screamer mini, Some pitch pedals ( whammy) , and back into ns2 then into the main line input of the soundcard. So i recorded with tubescreamer and used amp sims to monitor which sounded good. Now when i reamp the di track into my amp which is a peavey 6505+112 (v30) with sm57 mic, it sounds really brittle. I'm obviously going to need to test a signal without the tubescreamer and see if it makes a difference reamping with the tubescreamer after rather than before , but literally I'll turn up gain and it's like on level 2 and its fully distorted. I recorded the di around -8db and can play around with the output on the reamp box but if I turn it down too much on chugs it sounds weak. And like i say ill put my guitar back into in the amp and record that and it sounds a load better!

Does anyone else get these issues, or have any advice? I dont have the option to record my amps live really unless i can turn it down and it needs to be on 3 or 4 to open up, as it is. Im going to try reamping it again with a 120watt amp and 4x12 cab soon also but suspect my orginal di signal maybe needs to be scrapped and 're recorded without the tubescreamer.

Some photos on instagram.com/smith_woodward

Thanks

Last edited by beatsfromthesun; 5 days ago at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Photo
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Have you tried lowering the volume that goes to the reamp box?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk u View Post
Have you tried lowering the volume that goes to the reamp box?
I have it does help a little but i was wondering to people mainly record dry and add tubescreamer after
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsfromthesun View Post
I'm finding amps sound better with guitar going directly in to the amp, rather than using a di signal.
are you comparing recording to recording?

sometimes people say this and what they really mean by the "guitar going directly in to the amp" is "when I am playing my guitar". The reamp will not have the same resonance in your body that you will feel while playing. No recording will ever fully capture what the guitar sounds like to the guitar player.

Quote:
used amp sims to monitor which sounded good.
is it possible you like your amp sims better than you like your amp? Some people do, especially within certain "extreme" styles of music. Also possible that by setting your pedals to sound 'good' with the sims, you are moving away from what would sound good with the amp.

Quote:
I dont have the option to record my amps live
If you are reamping, obviously you must have the option to crank it up at least sometimes, because reamping will be just as loud.

Next time you have the opportunity, try setting up your guitar "live" into the amp and get the amp sounding exactly how you want it. Record it with your normal mic but also record it DI. Now take the DI and reamp it back to the amp, with the same mic and see how much fiddling you have to do to get it to sound the same in the recording. This experiment might give you some useful clues as to what is causing your problems and what you might do differently.

I am generally happy with how my amps react to the reamped signal from the DAW, but I must admit, I may not be that sensitive to the small differences a guitarist might feel about his own tones.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsfromthesun View Post
I have it does help a little but i was wondering to people mainly record dry and add tubescreamer after
I recomend recording the di of your guitar completaly dry. To me the di is a safety net for when i want to change the tone of the guitars.

You can always add the tubrscreamer in the reamp chain but you can't take it off the di track if its recorded with it.

I add a tubescreamer plugin to my virtual amp if i want that sound wile recording with an amp sim.

There is an argument to be made on recording with a delay or flanger pedal as an fx on the di. but i have had that backfire on me as wel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search