The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording with compression in
Old 15th October 2018
Led
Lives for gear

At the mic on the way in is the only time you will get to treat a fully analog signal with fully analog equipment such as compression and also eq. I understand people wanting to not commit but once you get some experience, if you have the vision of what you are going for, why not commit..why not do it at the fullest bandwidth available..imo...
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
At the mic on the way in is the only time you will get to treat a fully analog signal with fully analog equipment such as compression and also eq.
Interesting perspective.....I am in agreement.
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
At the mic on the way in is the only time you will get to treat a fully analog signal with fully analog equipment such as compression and also eq. I understand people wanting to not commit but once you get some experience, if you have the vision of what you are going for, why not commit..why not do it at the fullest bandwidth available..imo...
and a well recorded and sample/bit rate digital recording played into analog aux gear is less than stellar because?

and this "all analog" chain overrides the late rides and compressor overshoot that's inevitable in tracking with a compressor because......[perceived mojo???]
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Lots of varying opinions here. There is no right or wrong, just what works for you. I almost always put a little compression on going in. 4:1 ration with a soft knee auto setting. Shave 3db off. I know I’m gonna compress afterwards so 3db of soft compression that doesn’t really affect the Sonics of the track is 3db less I have to apply somewhere else in the mix. Another 3db on an insert and then some more on a buss and then a little more on the 2 buss. It all adds up and it’s less destructive than 10 to 12 all at once. But no, it not necessary in the 24 bit world. It’s a matter of preference and work flow for me.

Brian
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search