The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can you tell the difference? Amateur vs Pro
Old 5 days ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Can you tell the difference? Amateur vs Pro

Hey guys, I mage a quick comparison track.
Its two songs, A-B-A-B

One was made in the proper studio and mixed by serious engineer and one was totally homemade. Can you guess which one is which? How big the difference is?

Where do you see the biggest difference? Drums? Bass? Vocals, guitar?


***FILE REMOVED***
Old 5 days ago
  #2
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUGENE_MICHELL View Post
Can you guess which one is which?
I cannot tell the difference.

maybe if you actually posted the files, I might have an opinion.
Old 4 days ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I cannot tell the difference.

maybe if you actually posted the files, I might have an opinion.
I think it's more like a bar joke
Old 4 days ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
shanabit's Avatar
 

A is more dope
Old 4 days ago
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUGENE_MICHELL View Post
Hey guys, I mage a quick comparison track.
Its two songs, A-B-A-B

One was made in the proper studio and mixed by serious engineer and one was totally homemade. Can you guess which one is which? How big the difference is?

Where do you see the biggest difference? Drums? Bass? Vocals, guitar?


***FILE REMOVED***
What's going on here? This -and the file now removed, was posted here -by an OP 'Astral Babe
Can you tell the difference? Amateur vs Pro - Home Recording forums

You made the track (or tracks?
Old 4 days ago
  #6
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
I think it's more like a bar joke
A serious engineer, a home recordist and a giraffe walk into a bar...
Old 4 days ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
A is more dope
.... and I've been duped (file removed).
Old 4 days ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
A serious engineer, a home recordist and a giraffe walk into a bar...
That must be quite a bar, with such tall ceilings...
Old 4 days ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
That must be quite a bar, with such tall ceilings...
It's a new place, called "the guitar barre"
Old 4 days ago
  #10
Gear Guru
 

glancing at the other thread, (on a different forum), it seems there were two different songs and one was kind of sparse and the other had a lot of tracks or parts going on.

I was under the impression it was going to be the same song, which would have been a lot more interesting to me.

My follow up to the OP would be to ask what the definition of a "proper" studio and a "serious" engineer is.
Old 4 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
glancing at the other thread, (on a different forum), it seems there were two different songs and one was kind of sparse and the other had a lot of tracks or parts going on.

I was under the impression it was going to be the same song, which would have been a lot more interesting to me.

My follow up to the OP would be to ask what the definition of a "proper" studio and a "serious" engineer is.
He seemed to think it had to be done in a "proper room" by a "serious engineer", but the truth is, plenty of records are mixed on the fly in all kinds of places today, with laptops.

I reject his premise; good engineers and musicians can make almost anything work.
Old 4 days ago
  #12
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
He seemed to think it had to be done in a "proper room" by a "serious engineer", but the truth is, plenty of records are mixed on the fly in all kinds of places today, with laptops.

I reject his premise; good engineers and musicians can make almost anything work.
I am not sure that was his (her) premise. The original version of this was posted on Home recording dot com I believe the person in question is most likely the recordist who made the "home" recording. And was proud of it, or was disappointed in the results of the "proper" studio. Or both.

From reading that other website, I believe the real premise was: "you can't tell, can you?" Or even "see? the fans like my home recording better!"

Certainly in that other thread there were guesses on both sides as to which was which. Of course that may have been because both songs had "issues". It could be, for example, that the deck was stacked by choosing a rather low benchmark for "proper". More pertinent information about the 2 studios would be relevant to any serious comparison. Being fairly aware of many of the studios in my area, I have to say, there are some people who are "in business" who haven't got a clue, some who are amazing, and so on. If you are calling any place that charges by the hour a "proper studio" then sure, lots of home guys might be able to beat that mark.

OTOH, if a 'proper studio' includes an experienced, conscientious engineer, and good rooms and good gear, the differences might be more obvious.
Old 4 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
12tone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
It's a new place, called "the guitar barre"
If they can incorporate guitars into this, color me impressed:
Old 3 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
I am not sure that was his (her) premise. The original version of this was posted on Home recording dot com I believe the person in question is most likely the recordist who made the "home" recording. And was proud of it, or was disappointed in the results of the "proper" studio. Or both.

From reading that other website, I believe the real premise was: "you can't tell, can you?" Or even "see? the fans like my home recording better!"

Certainly in that other thread there were guesses on both sides as to which was which. Of course that may have been because both songs had "issues". It could be, for example, that the deck was stacked by choosing a rather low benchmark for "proper". More pertinent information about the 2 studios would be relevant to any serious comparison. Being fairly aware of many of the studios in my area, I have to say, there are some people who are "in business" who haven't got a clue, some who are amazing, and so on. If you are calling any place that charges by the hour a "proper studio" then sure, lots of home guys might be able to beat that mark.

OTOH, if a 'proper studio' includes an experienced, conscientious engineer, and good rooms and good gear, the differences might be more obvious.
I'm mixsit' over there, and just to state, disappointed the OP over there seems to have dumped engaging in it for discussion, then what's the point?
And two, my question to the op EUGENE_MICHELL here.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump