The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for the most flexible setup Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Looking for the most flexible setup

Hi there,

I'm quite new to producing and the only piece of gear I've really ever had was the PO33 KO. While it was a good introduction, I quickly got annoyed at the limitations of it. I'm looking for some sort of production set up that will enable me to make very creative beats where I can be as experimental as I want.

I'm into sample based production and fyi my favourite production styles would be from the likes of Dibia$e, Knxwledge, Samiyam, JPEGMAFIA, El-P, Earl Sweatshirt & Flying Lotus.

I've always been a big fan of the SP404, however I feel like that might have a lot of limitations compared to say getting a DAW. What do you guys think? Should I get a DAW (which one) and a midi? Or any samplers or combinations of equipment out there.

Also you can check out my Bandcamp. I only rap at the moment which is why I want to get into production.

IMMORTAN SPIRIT (prod. Samiyam) | dRIFT SPIriT
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Its a pretty open ended question as there are millions of ways you can go. you should do a lot of homework and research before you buy anything. There is just so much out there that it can get overwhelming. But if you do some work and find out what you need, its gets easier.

Are you looking for a piece of hardware to go with a DAW? You will also need Studio Monitors and an Audio Interface also, with some cables.

Here is what you 'could' be looking at:
1. Akai Professional MPC Studio Music Production Controller - Its pretty cool and good for beat making ($450)
2. Pro tools or any other DAW. You may need to try some out and see what you like (Free to $1000)
3. For studio monitors, i would go with at least 6" woofers and a sub, since you are in a genre that emphasizes the low end. JBL are awesome, I use them ($1200 - $2000). Get the best you can afford, as studio monitors are very important
4. audio interface. You need one with at least one mic pre-amp, since you Rap. I would look at RME, MOTU or Focusrite. see what fits your needs the best ($200 to $2000)
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks a lot.

1) I think a piece of hardware and daw would definitely suit me. What do you think of the maschine cause I know that's like the studio? Is there any big differences?

2) Yeah, I've been trying a lot of demos. Could you recommend one which is good for trying to mix but not too expensive

3) I agree studio monitors would be very important, however I live with a lot of people. I was wondering if you think any open headphones could match this or if monitors were 100% necessary for production and mixing.

4) Those sound good, thanks.

Thanks a lot. Imma have to do a lot of research.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
2) Yeah, I've been trying a lot of demos. Could you recommend one which is good for trying to mix but not too expensive
Cakewalk by Bandlab. Its Free and its good to mix in.
Quote:
3) I agree studio monitors would be very important, however I live with a lot of people. I was wondering if you think any open headphones could match this or if monitors were 100% necessary for production and mixing.
Monitors are needed in my opinion. Headphones are used for checking mixes, not mixing mixes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search