The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a question regarding the endless debate of software vs hardware Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

a question regarding the endless debate of software vs hardware

here my question in shortform:
if the reason for my bad software sounds is lack of knowledge,
why do i have such amazing sounding tracks when using hardware ?

______ i elaborate down below but thats basically it____

i was just told, if my drums and synth´s - created and layered by software - sound stale, or just bad in general, that is due to my lack of knowledge.

in general i would accept that 100%. im definitely not an expert.

but when this comes up in the question of hardware vs software, i have to ask..

why is it, when i start creating / layering a drum set on a drum machine, i get a super hard knocking SWEET warm kit together basically within minutes ?

while on PC i just fail horrible and my lack of knowledge kicks in.

i do it in the same way, and i can try 10 times on pc, get 10 weak kids,
try 10 times on a drum machine, and i get at least 8 insanely nice kits.

the same goes for leads, pads, bass on synth.
i try arround in vst presets and most of it sounds weak (except of course some of those who use sample libraries who sample a synth / taking a snapshot of a real synth so to speak, but other than that it mostly sounds weak.

when i look through some stuff on a 2000$ synth,
i get amazing sounds QUICK.

my knowledge is the same.
the knobs and faders appear to be the same wether its software or hardware.

so how can you guys who praise the software version of things explain that ?

this is not ment to be rude in any way, i am truly confused about this, and totally baffled as to how there is no definite answer to that endless hardware vs software question yet.

its like salesmen on both sides muddy the waters of the argument, ey ?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
i was just told, if my drums and synth´s - created and layered by software - sound stale, or just bad in general, that is due to my lack of knowledge.

in general i would accept that 100%. im definitely not an expert.

but when this comes up in the question of hardware vs software, i have to ask..

why is it, when i start creating / layering a drum set on a drum machine, i get a super hard knocking SWEET warm kit together basically within minutes ?

while on PC i just fail horrible and my lack of knowledge kicks in.
It has to do with the different sounds in each software and hardware synth you use. Every single patch you select in a software synth and hardware synth are different. Its comparing apples to mushrooms.

Getting sounds to sound good, does come from skill and knowledge. But it also has to do with picking a good sound source that you like already and fits your song.
Why are you picking things that sound stale and dry? Maybe you need to select another software synth.

If it was as easy as buying hardware gear, then everyone would have top 10 hits on the radio and be selling out concerts.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

1. Most VST presets sound meehh to me, a hardware unit has more balls to the sound IMO not to mention you get the benefit of its DA converters on the output verses all those samples in your PC coming out the same set of DA converters.

2. " layering a drum set on a drum machine". You NEED to approach software the SAME way. Layer it and you will get a way better sound. I often do this with drum VSTi's here. Say I have an electric piano sound, it may be THREE diff software sounds layered together. If you do your layering of instruments right you will have a HUGE sounding track with only 8 total tracks when you record those. I used to layer drum machines as well.

3. There are ehh, OK and great sounding software libraries as any film score dude would tell you. You have to be selective when buying them so you. Omnisphere sounds great for instance. There are many orchestral libraries that sound awesome.

4. Sound selection is key as CJ stated and that comes with experience. The hardest part for me when tracking a song isnt what to play its how to get the sound I need FOR THE TRACK

5. Most VST presets kinda suck IMO, you have to tweak more with software where as with hardware it is closer to the what you want out the gate IMO. VST in general sounds THIN to my ears compared to a hardware synth. There are trade offs with BOTH IMO

6. I get better and faster results from my hardware synths and it could be a familiarity thing as well. I sold all my drum machines and am software only for that and my acoustic piano sounds.

7. Use what works for YOU, the rest is just internet BS and conjecture anyway
Old 5 days ago
Cut to the chase....
So if you connect with hardware more easily, and enjoy the sounds more - use hardware!

I am hybrid, but mostly use hardware to create sounds, and software for recording and mixing. But, each to their own.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search