The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a production teacher DAW Software
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Looking for a production teacher

Hello. I am an intermediate musician/producer. I am mostly a guitar player/songwriter who sings and can play bass, drums and a little bit of keys. I have a basic understanding of synthesis and production in cubase. I am looking for someone I could possibly hire over skype to help with producing my stuff at home (including gear selection, placement, levels, sends, mixing, synthesis, etc) as well as help me with replicating sounds on albums I like.

I would also like to have some help with structuring and implementing a course-like feel where at the end of a few months I have the best quality album I can get and also have mini-goals in between.

I am interested in live as well as digital sounds. My hope is to replicate something like "The Empyrean" in terms of sounds used. YouTube

The only issue is that I have not figured out how to have skype and cubase running comfortably at the same time. They seem to conflict with eachother.

If you know anyone who is capable of helping me that would be great. Thanks for any help I may get.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post
I would also like to have some help with structuring and implementing a course-like feel where at the end of a few months I have the best quality album I can get and also have mini-goals in between.
According to your list of things you need help with, you have not even selected all your gear. much less learned the basics of recording, much less learned how to mix. In the interest of brutal honesty, I don't think you are going to have an album finished in a few months.

Quote:
The only issue is that I have not figured out how to have skype and cubase running comfortably at the same time. They seem to conflict with eachother.
even if you get it to work, this seems like a nightmare of switching back and forth. If you want some help in the DAW, you might want to stream screen shots, if you want some help with microphone placement, you need to point a camera at the setup.

I teach audio classes, and while I do some lecturing and some show and tell, the main idea is for the students to get hands-on and for me to be there to help them along. I would hate to have to try and teach someone something technical over Skype. Much less help them make their album.

Perhaps there are people on here who could instruct you the way you want via Skype. I know I could not. If I was in your place, I would look for somebody 'local' who could physically come to your studio to help you "get going".

I have worked with producers over Skype. That is to say. the Talent is performing in my studio, but the Producer is far away. I always used a separate machine. So they are simply coaching the singer or announcer on pitch or phrasing, not teaching them something new and 'technical' - like how to use a DAW or set up microphones or what an aux send does.

"No, you were flat, try that same punch again". is the type of communication that Skype is best at, IMO. On the other hand, things like "I'll count you in 1...2...3...4..." does not work at all because of the latency.

As for the more "academic" type instruction, what is reverb, how do you set up an aux return, what are these controls on the synthesizer doing - that stuff is pretty much one-way, top-down instruction. There is a body of information that you need to learn and there are books and videos that tell you that information.

I suppose it might be cool to be able to interrupt and ask questions, but you can learn that stuff by studying on your own.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

I use a thinkpad laptop quadcore 2.8 ghz, 12gb RAM. I use Cubase artist 7.5 which I am quite comfortable using.
I'm upgrading my interface very soon (doing the online shopping after I write this) as well as getting
Mackie cr4's.
I have an SM57 and AT4041 as my mics (I will rent any others I may want to use for vocals or acoustic guitar).
I have a 2003 strat and a martin DX1RAE as well as a bass guitar and a midi keyboard
Komplete 9 probably updating to 12 soon as well.

I have written and produced songs in the past with a worse setup than this so my experience with the process of creating is adequate.

I have thought about it since writing originally and I suppose I would just have the skype call on my phone to not interfere with the computer.

The main things I actually want help with are constructive critique of my work and being someone who can help set goals and help with mixing. I want to have a little bit of a helping (more experienced) hand this time around as I want to take these next songs I make seriously. Things like mic placement and gear setup were less important and frankly I don't need help with these things. I was just hoping that the person who would take me on had as much knowledge as possible when we get together.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Guru

not sure what audio quality you get with skype.

When I used it, it was sufficient for the producer to hear "big" things like the singer's pitch, enunciation and timing. But I don't know about mixing where there are far more factors and many of them are really tiny and subtle. Pointing your phone at the monitor may not cut it.

But it seems to me that - unlike singing - you don't really need mixing feedback in The Now: "try that fade again, slower this time". You could send your interim mixes via email or DropBox, get them critiqued, then work on them some more.

In fact, there is a section of GS where people do just that. And it won't cost you a dime.

If you do find an on-line teacher, another thing you could look into is Source-Connect. It works like a plug-in in your DAW and can send high-quality audio to another DAW in more or less real time - there is of course some latency. You couldn't 'jam' live with someone in another country, but you could overdub on "his" tracks. And communicate about it as well. Unlike Skype, this is studio quality audio. I have used it for doing remote interviews for radio stations and podcasts and for narration things where someone wants to 'supervise' the talent but cannot be there in person.

Source-Connect is not cheap, but I believe you can rent it by the month.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Put your location In your profile. Maybe a fellow slut is around the corner from you.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Head

Hi TY, I am a fully qualified teacher and teach audio production to 4 students a year as it is quite intensive. If of interest PM me and I'll drop my resume for you.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search